1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    There is no bumpy special ride in 2012 fiat unlike the older models.

Expect some stiff suspension actions and flatter ride.

Ride in lower tire pressure or Stop complaining.

Folks this is not Tata Indica.
  2. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

1. Rear suspension is also going to the old setup next month :) Did't had time to get them changed so skipped it for this month. BUT, There is not much difference, one can easily live with it and moreover it is better if you leave rear as it is. On full load, rear tend to sag more.
    2. Forget SA, they know nothing, as far as I experienced. I directly talk to mechanics and let them know what I want rather than any SA. The mechanic told me that yes other parts are also changed to raise height but they are of least concern. According to him also the new setup is shit, ruined everything, from handling to ride. He safely suggested me to revert back to old setup. Rest I have taken the plunge, so far Iam very very happy.
    3. No need to change anything, just the shockers, for rear ts 2400 per side.

Nope nothing at all. And if something bad gonna happen it will soon show on the tire treads. I have kept raised one with me only, if I ever had to revert

You've got a point :-D

I bet reducing the pressure till 26psi on 205/60 r15 tires, is far more than enough to cushion the ride BUT it still does't. Ride is stiff, and jarring and I am the guy who can confidently say that on high speeds too this jarring and stiffness does't subsides much. Now after reverting to the old setup, I know what has been taken away from fiat cars. And no matter how much we defend fiat, RIDE IS BUMPY AND UNSETTLED !! Enuf to discomfort anyone. I have driven 36000kms on this shit setup and now dont wanna revert back ever :)

+1 and GC is really not that bad on Punto. A lil careful driving and you wont be touching anything. What matters most is the car's true comfort and handling characteristics.

Some differences which I have been experiencing after reverting back to old setup
    1. Potholes are way better muted and no jarring. (same potholes which used to create enuf jarring even at low speeds)
    2. No difference in handling during speeds less than 60-70kmph. Took her today till 120kmph and took a slight curve, could easily feel the difference (NOW WHAT IS STIFFNESS FOR ? )
    3. Front is way composed now whereas rear is still bumpy and unsettles, because rear is having raised shitty setup. Clears many things in an instant.
    4. ANYONE WHO HAVE DOUBTS CAN HAVE A RIDE IN MY CAR :) And for rest of the doubts, let me use it for some months ;-)
    5. And YES, steering has became light !!! Not much, but yes there is slight difference in the behavior now
    6. Steering has become even more responsive, that is, I could feel the road surface even better under my palms. Dont wanna comment on this, could be a issue or could not be. Whatever it is, Iam just loving it. Even a slight patch of water and steering gives me full feedback. Again, not that much difference compared to old setup.
    In short, from yesterday Iam willingly taking my car into potholes to enjoy the new change LoL
    Now start flaming me :-D
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  3. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

@jayadev we aren't complaining about the bumpy ride without reason. Since we own the car after paying hard earned money, it hurts if the product doesn't match up to our expectations.

Only a person who has driven the older car extensively would know the difference in the newer suspension setup and let me be straight forward here, "Both suspensions are poles apart when it comes to ride, comfort, handling etc". And if we were Tata indica drivers, we would not have even considered ride and handling :D since we are proud owners of FIAT car, we do have all the right to claim for the best ;)

Since @Sunswape has already had first hand experience with the increased GC, I don't need to be stressing on this topic again. Looks like we all have got the solution to the problem now.

Thank you @sunswape.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  4. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Imranji, You have solved the bumpy ride by changing tyres and air pressure? I would be happy if you explain how you reached the present condition of good drive.My car is Linea Emotion 12 with 205/55/16 Good year Eagle NCT5, 91 v tyres.The plus point is it can handle any type of road,especially monsoon hit roads of kerala.I have done 16000 km .If a proper solution is there for tyres as well as spring/dampers it will be great.The bumpy ride is unbearable by old age people. For me,it is o.k.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    A new reader will never understand from this thread ,whats the exact solution. :D
    Bumpy Ride problem should be categorised with Solutions.Solution1 imran got it.
    2 people like this.
  6. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    And further might come to a conclusion that the best ride and handling in its class, which are USPs of Fiats (and which we owners boast about a lot) is no longer available in the new models. This thread might do a lot of harm than good to the prospective customers, IMHO.
    1 person likes this.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @imransheks, the problem is that you have experienced both suspension types and you know the difference is poles apart. You are trying to get the old experience with the new set up and that is driving you nuts and in the process you are working around a solution not at it. The best and cheapest option for you will be to fit the entire old set up susp at one go and relax forever. I t would have cost just around 12K. Your tyre change would not have been required at all nor was the pressure adjustments.

The new customers of punto linea will only know the new set up and buy it for that. Old set up is history and they will never know about it and hence the bounce that irritates you may be just what the new owners like. So, faster you solve this issue it will be better as people have realized how this thread is meandering and will be confusing for new owners, which at this point is not ideal.

Abdul
    3 people like this.
  8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

@All It would have made sense if others and I were comparing Fiat to some other brand and bashing Fiat for bad ride with current setup.

I do not understand why there's so much reluctance with respect to this thread right from the beginning. You guys wanna know why we are spending time and effort here on this thread ? Come and drive my car to know yourself.

Talking about the prospective buyers ? Folks, what's your take on the existing owners (not all but a few including me) who aren't happy with the way their car rides ?

If you feel this thread can impact negatively in terms of sales for Fiat, please feel free to report this thread and close it forever and in order to boost sales, also ban all the threads that talk about issues (negatives) in FIAT cars coz even they might change the mind of prospective buyers considering FIAT :)

I feel there is nothing wrong in asking for a solution from knowledgeable people in order to fix the issues / flaws in a product, afterall that's the intent of being on a Forum, not just praising the product all the time.

Thanks a ton for all the support.

Cheers :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    4 people like this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    imran bro,
    i'm loving this thread since when you started your diagnose,and let stik to solution for the 2012 model.
    The discussion is going to lower GC upgrade kit :D which should be tagged as one's auto interest rather solution to bumpy ride.Yes ?
  10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Absolutely @Ganges i will fight until i am satisfied that there is no solution to the problem. This weekend front suspension shall be diagnosed. getting this issue sorted is my weekend activity these days ;)