1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Imran, How was the cornering in your car before you upgraded the tires?
    Why i am asking this is whether FIAT changed the springs to reduce the body roll in 2012 cars, may be we should meet over weekend to TD and understand this better.
    Mine is 2010 car with same old springs but new dampeners and there is body roll when taken to corners,but I also feel Michelin soft rubber make it more noticeable.

I am on god gievn air not on nitrogen but when the tires start loosing air at around 31 PSI , i can feel like I am driving my wagon R again!! but up it to 33 PSI it is stable and with good ride and cornering. Take it o 34PSI then starts bumpy rides at speeds less than 40 kmph.So i am sticking 33 PSI and it is working fine for me.

May be FIAT can't offer a touch softer springs due to to class leading GC of 185 mm.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

@sat I would more than glad if we can meet up sometime this weekend. You can drive my car to know more. PMing you my contact number.

Cornering with soft sidewall tyres is never confidence inspiring, above that the raised GC does take away confidence too.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  3. fiat583

fiat583 Novizio

kerela
    Thats right Spearman. Seems this thread is having above 100 likes. Does that mean there are already at least 100 people suffering with the same issue? Then its time for us to collect the details of all the people and file a query to FIAT, I beleive.
    1 person likes this.
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

@fiat583 yes. That's right. Either me, or someone has to own this action, consolidate list of all owners facing this problem on post 2012 cars and drop a note to FIAT :)

1 person likes this.
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

Met @Sat-Chit-ananda sorry if I have misspelled your handle :)

Drove his Punto which has new GC, correct me if am wrong, since the springs of his Punto were from the older setup and only dampers were changed to increase the GC, his car behaved well.

When he drove my car, he said undulating surfaces of road were making the steering wobble. We tried reducing the tyre pressure as well, still no luck.

The ride is good on flat roads but on rough patches the car behaves awkwardly :D he said "On this sort of patch my car just glides through"

P.S he has Michelin Primacy LC on his car !!!

Looks like I have a battle to face ahead with the service center guys and FIAT :p

2 people like this.
  6. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Add me to the list too. My Feb 2012 manufactured Punto too gives a lil bumpy and unsettle ride as compared to two of my friend's pre 2012 Puntos. I recently upgraded to Yoko DBs 205/60 R15 tires from earlier MRF ZLO stock R15 size. Upgrade did helped a lot BUT still there is margin for correction. But then I really dont wont to complain as still the ride is very much smooth and enjoyable for me. The best and most initial solution to this problem is reducing tire pressure or upgrade to slightly larger profile.
    BTW, from quite sometime, Iam on a lookout to get hold of unused old suspension setup.
  7. Older springs or Michilin PLC or both could be the reason my car has a composed ride.may be we should try swapping the wheels once and try.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Now T-Jet also joins top list for having higher GC i.e 190mm in Fiat models in India..class leading GC for Linea T-Jet which can put even SUV'S to shame...Fiat has mad suspension more stiffer to handle corners like pre 2012 models and compromised on ride which at low speed is very stiff and uncomfortable for occupants..
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Little Steering vibrations I think are common in most Fiat cars.Partly one can also blame the lack of smooth Indian roads.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Hope it also does not handle like one. No matter how stiff the springs, higher GC = higher COG, which will convert directly to poorer handling, especially high speed cornering.

Rajan
    2 people like this.