1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Under inflation may cause tire to over heat and blowout/burst.
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Well , for the diesels 32 front and 30 rear are the recommended COLD air pressures for Puntos. If one follows that then the suspension sings the right tune. I keep just that and I have no complaints

Abdul
  3. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    No, I didn't mean to reduce the pressure so much to cause any damage to the tyres. May be around 28-29 psi might work good for 2012 models. Again I am not sure about this either. Just shared my experience.
  4. Did a TD on my car(with 32/32 Tyre pressure) and a 2011 model GP(Tyre pressure same) along a stretch of uneven road with lots of bumps. This is the first time I am driving a pre-2012 GP, and the ride quality is definetly much better than mine. The point which i specifically noticed is that even though the car rocks the same on road undulations, it does this with poise. This makes the passenger feel more comfortable (this is what is expected from a good suspension setup). This particular stretch of road is one which i drive regularly, and hence i can feel the difference very clearly.

I feel that the issue could be with the dampers, rather than with the springs itself. In my knowledge, the damping action is a combined effort of the suspension dampers and the tyres, and hence the difference we feel when we reduce tyre pressure.

Agree with you. I have kept it at 29 and it was way better than 33.
    1 person likes this.
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

Bingo!!! That's the same feeling I got when I drove pre-2012 Punto after driving my 2013 Punto.

The older car felt way better on undulating surfaces. But ever since I have changed the tyres to Yokohama C drives, the issue has suppressed. Though its not completely flat ride, the tyres do soak up the undulating surfaces well and give you a good feel :)

I would still try my best to make this issue reach FIAT and if possible, get my car checked by someone from FIAT !!!

Cheers :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  6. Imaran,

I have seen people in this thread comparing the our cars to top end cars and saying although top end cars have low profile tires their ride quality is better, but we are not paying top end bucks to own a FIAT!!

Suspension/dampeners and tires totally make the ride quality, it is the matching between the them gives out result like best or not so good ride quality, if you are getting good ride quality with a different set of tires, that is the solution.
    I don't think FIAT will provide top of the line tires with the cars but a medium quality ones.
    I feel we should not be too critical of FIAT in this aspect.
  7. Sat- Totally agree with you on the technical aspects. But, is it for the users to do the mix and match, or is it the company who has to own it? My friends GP 2010 still runs on stock JK 165s and offers very good ride quality. I didnt get the ride quality on my stock JK 165s, which i later changed to Michelin XM2 185/70. Ride became better after that. The question here is shouldnt FIAT take the responsibility of this and do their homework and fix this in at least on their 2014 cars? Unless we cry about this, how are they going to know?
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. How many of us look for good quality tires when doing a PDI, I got bridgestone tires for my Wagon R when I demanded for it but not before delay of 1 week to close the deal.
    If more customers demand for it at dealerships then that news will reach faster to FIAT,not sure FIAT will take individual customers feedback very seriously to make product change but dealer yes, it they who keep FIAT alive by selling the cars.

I tried the same approach at Concorde asking for Bridgestone again but already sales guy from TAT was frustrated that I switched from Indica Vista to FIAT , he out rightly refused to concede to my request.But he could still survive with out me being customer to them as Concorde had multiple choices.
    With new FASS center this thing may work not sure every one will take this route.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

@sat I cannot expect the ride quality of a Mercedes by paying 8.75 lakhs, all I expect is the pre-2012 car's ride quality even after raising the suspension setup.

The difference in GC shouldn't be doing injustice to the ride of the car. Though am happy with my car after changing the tyres, yet the charm of a pre-2012 Punto and Linea is lost somehow :)

That's my point !!!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  10. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Hello all, My aim/intention is the same view as mentioned by Imran ji.Mine is Linea 2012 Emotion. Here tyre is different.It is 205/55/16, which has low side wall height.Due to this low profile ride bumpiness will be higher.So even if I change to a different brand of same profile tyre,I cannot expect smooth ride.( I think so ).That is why I am keep on watching this thread for good authentic suggestion from owners of 2012 linea Emotion who have solved this problem.