1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Mohankv

Mohankv Amatore

Very well said... This is exactly the main mother of all reasons we all chose a FIAT!!
  2. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Hello all, Changing tyres will surely reduce the effect.The ride quality surely depends on tyres,air pressure and mainly on suspension set up. expensive cars are with very low tyre profiles. But the harshness of the ride is taken care by the expensive suspension setup. Here what I want is an average comfort travel with good safety in ride.My effert is to make an awareness of this post 2012 problem to Fiat people.They can suggest a way out of this with their existing R & D setup.They will be having the characteristic properties of the spring/damper they are using in post 2012 cars.This cannot be solved by a trial and error method.A more scientific method is required.Only they can handle it.The suspension setup makers will be giving its details to the user manufacturers of cars.The spring which is compressed on load will go on oscillating if no proper damping is given to it.The meaning is ,the spring / damper combination should be of right combination.So it will be a better idea to take this matter to Fiat and see what is their suggestion in this.If suspension set up nature is identical to the pre 2012 cars, then the problem will be with tyres.The present 2012 Linea Emotion is a low profile (55) tyre.(205/55/16) The stiffness may also due to this profile of the tyre.So it will be good to make some move to make Fiat to know this
    3 people like this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    you made a right point :ugeek:
    Changing tires is like masking the bumps as jumu said,but the problem is still existing mechanically.
  4. Well handling is still the same,i think you meant ride quality?
  5. Fiat1100

Fiat1100 Amatore

Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi All, I too experienced the bumpy rides in my 2012 Linea with air pressure 36 in front and 35 at rear. I have reduced it to 33 in front and 32 at rear and the bumpy ride has been decreased drastically. Not sure how the new air pressure will effect the tyres :(

will appreciate if someone can throw some light on this. :)
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

@Fiat1100 32 is recommended tyre pressure by FIAT, 1 psi extra wouldn't make any difference as its safe.

35 or 36psi is too much and will surely cause bumpy ride :)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  7. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Hey guys , actually GT3 tires are culprit here . I bought Punto in 2010 and the ride quality became really bouncy on uneven roads after say 10k kms , I changed tires to apollo accleres at around 36k kms and there on I have never experienced that bounciness , the ride has always been plush after that . But ya the steering feel and handling is much better in GT3 tires for sure compared to accleres . My car odo stands at 67k kms now .
    2 people like this.
  8. Dr Stephen. Have you visited Hyson Service for checking this out? I have given my GP for its first service today. I had pexcalated this issue to FIAT via the feedback in their website, and had a call from the Service manager of Hyson, Cochin the next day. Decided to check this out when i go there for first service. I met him today and he commented that it is the first time they are hearing such a feedback. He has offered me a couple of test rides on different cars, just to understand the problem better. Will share the results later this evening.
    1 person likes this.

OCTANE Amatore

All of you are complaining about bounciness in 2012 models and I was one person who used to complain about bounciness on my 2009 linea. The culprit in my case was the air pressure. My linea just shatters over any pothole with the air pressure at 33 psi on all tyres. I once travelled to coimbatore with 33 psi on all tyres and it was hell for me. Ride was so harsh and bouncy that I regretted my purchase that day. Later searched on the net and now I fill 32 in the front and 30 at the back. With this the ride became pretty good and becomes very plush after a week of usage. Which means plush ride comes at around 30 psi. Now since you 2012 owners have more gc you guys can experiment by lowering the pressure a little bit more. I think lineas are very sensitive to air pressure. Also cross check the pressure at various places because in my locality all the pumps show 4-6psi lower reading than what it is really. So take care of that too. Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  10. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Also the pressure varies to some extent between various machines. Have noticed variation upto @2 psi between different air refill machines.