1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

@DRIV3R thanks a lot for your suggestions and feedback :)

Yeah, all is well now !!!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    but i remember imran,you have tried with different set of tires as well,still you were having bumpy ride.
    i'm in doubt whether its your mental feeling of bumpy ride when using comfort tires or tires itselves resolved your problem ? :D
    1 person likes this.
  3. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

@Ganges I tried with Apollo Acelers. Had no option to try any other tyres as the service center guys did not have Yokohama or Michelins for me to offer for testing :p (This test was carried out by Vecto Motors without prior appointment as a running repair and Aadya never wanted to help me out without appointment).

Now if I compare Acelers with Yokohama C drives when it comes to comfort, It's like comparing Maruti 800 to Mercedes A class (both entry level hatchbacks) ;)

Having driven my car extensively for 6500 kms, I guess none other than me and passengers would know how tough time we have had travelling at the speed of 40-60 kmph in city.

Also like @DRIV3R pointed out, the new suspension (post-2012) setup with GT3 is a horrible combination until you experience it yourself, if you haven't done that, please try it once atleast.

Even after all this hassle, if you still ask me, I would say "Nothing like a Pre-2012 Fiat Punto/Linea", in no way these 2 state of tune of suspensions can be compared.

Atleast, That's what my experience of driving different cars past 11 years can say !!!

Cheers :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    imran,
    thats really interesting,so now how are you taking up this issue with FIAT ?
    because this is really interesting about the suspension set-up with GT3 or any other similar brand.
    Well i would never say that GT3 are bad tires.

But ,its still mystery when tires have solved the problem of bumpy ride,then the tires are responsible for the same, rather suspension.
    i will be happy to see the tire treads after 1 or 2K Kms on new shoes. :) .
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

@Ganges GT3 aren't bad. They have great dry grip, they are confidence inspiring on corners and more over what impressed me was my friend has them on his pre-2012 Punto and has done more than 40000 kms and not even a single puncture !!! *touch wood*

A good ride quality and comfort was my preference to kill the harsh/bumpy ride at lower speeds, primarily for the sake of my parents, hence I got Yokohama C drives !!

Even if these last for 25-30k kms, I am more than glad bro. I shall definitely post the reviews once I do 1000 kms on my ownership thread.

Cheers :)

6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    myselves experienced GT3 more than 42+ Kms without a single punture.

All is well :) . Hope now onwards every time you hold the steering there's smile on your face :smile:
    1 person likes this.
  7. you also need this 2-in-1 Digital Tire Pressure Gauge with Thread Depth Gauge | eBay, i suggest keep 3-4 PSI more while filling at the petrol pumps during previous day and check and reduce it to recommended cold air pressure just before driving on the next day.
    1 person likes this.
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I am happy to know that your bumpy ride issue has been resolved to your satisfaction but sets me thinking on other matters.
    When the TASC changed tyres and drove your car, there was no improvement and your GT3s were bumpy as usual. Why the improvement when the C drives were fitted ? My fear is whether the C drives are masking an issue which is for real ( I hope not). Two brands of tyres gave the same bumpy feel and one brand resolves it. Strange but true.

Seems like the GT3s are a mixed bag. Many complain of noise, punctures, bulges, side wall issues ..etc but at the same time as many vouch for its grip and are happy with the tyre life. So luck plays a part in any good ownership:).

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  9. Sorry. My bad. By the way, you would be the best to provide a worthy comparison of pre and post 2012. Can you please?

Arnab, Could be with my car. But i see lot of others having similar observations in this thread(including Dr Stephen). So i think it could be a batch or something. I was driving a Palio for the last 10 years and it was like butter smooth on any type of roads. Is it bad to expect atleast that much from its bigger sibling? There is no intention to mislead. But in my opinion, people come to FIAT for its amazing handling, and not for mileage or power or gizmos. Prospective buyers should be aware of such issues too.
    2 people like this.
  10. Spear_man77,

Ride quality of pre 2012 suspensions was very good nodoubt about it. It still had bumpiness on un even roads at slow speeds but not so much that it would play on the nerves.
    When i upgraded to new 185 mm GC kit two things that i noticed was slight increase in the body roll and little unsettled ride on bad roads.But again these factors are difficult to quantify.
    When i switched over to french shoes for my GP, unsettled ride/bumpiness went away but i had more body roll than before , I tried upping the cold air pressure to 33 PSI that resolved the body roll issue to some extent but it is not comparable to (GT3) hard tire with no side wall flex at all.

One thing what i understood with all these experiences is we can't expect handling and ride to be best possible at the same time, some tires will give better handling some will give better ride.

Another reason I suspect bumpiness in 2012 cars may be due to weight reduction of 60-80 kg over previous(2010) year's car, with hard tires,lighter body compared to 2010 model and probably a toughed coil springs creating the issue reported in this thread.

I guess FIAT should test this and switch over to tires that suit the car better.looking at Imran's report medium soft rubber compound tire solved his issue.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    2 people like this.