1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Our cars come with a nice solid engine guard. One will have to try crossing a 200 mm boulder, aligned between the wheels, at good speed, to be able to damage the oil sump. My T-Jet with 165 mm GC, scrapes on almost all the speed breakers, when the car is fully loaded. Living in the speed breaker capital of the world does not really help. When I got the car hoisted up to check for damages, all I could see was scratches on the sump guard.

It is possible to get a better suspension setup. For example, my CEO's Audi A6 also comes with 165 mm GC, does not scrape, but that car comes at a price point 6X mine. I believe FIAT gave us the best it could, at that price point. I also believe that the first gen FIAT owners played spoilsport, which led to the increased GC, at the cost of ride quality and handling. They led FIAt to believe that the car not scraping is more important than handling or ride comfort. FIAT just gave what the existing owners wanted. As a result, the new owners suffer.

What else can one expect from a country, where drivers drive with their ORVMs folded to avoid scratches, totally oblivious to the fact that they are increasing their chances of a crash 100 fold.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  2. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

@patchyboy I totally agree with your thoughts mate. Driving old Fiat Punto (pre-2012) really brings smile on your face.

People might feel I am exaggerating but I would say "Pre-2012 suspension set up could be compared with cars priced around 15-20 lakhs :) only people who have owned it or driven it extensively would know and feel this !!!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  3. Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

I owned a 2009 punto active 1.2, I drove it extensively on highways and ghats and no doubt the suspension was USP of the car at that price point,but you need to drive outside city to know how it feels to have your car bottom out as soon as you drive on moderate to poor roads.
    Coming back to 2012 fiat upgraded the ground clearance to be at par with the competitor segement cars and as a result we get 185mm GC, which have compromised with the high speed stability, cornering and some other factors, but still I will say it is a perfect balance of GC and good suspension.Having done a trip in MP, Bihar where roads were built pre-independence you would know how good the suspension holds your car a hatchback.
    The difference is very noticeable but not to a point which will trouble you to that extent.
    I hope and pray you get the issue sorted out ASAP before you take any hasty decision.
    Btw you can test drive my car and see if there is any difference.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    4 people like this.
  4. Rightly said Arnab, i too own 2010 model , i vouch for the new GC of 185 mm. I am not missing too much of old kit but for the bottom scrape issues:)
    1 person likes this.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    RE: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

Thanks to our Indian road conditions, Fiat was forced to choose practicality over its class leading ride and handling. Figo is just another similar story. I really liked the low planted ride of Figo. But I cant afford to drive all the time with fear of under body scrapping, blowing oil sump etc. This spoils the entire fun of driving. At the end of day when am with family, I should be driving with peace instead of always worrying about unexpected and unwarranted road humps, pot holes etc. Current Fiat set up provides me this peace of mind with slightly compromised ride quality. Practically speaking, am ok for this trade off. If the ride quality really starts bothering me in future, at most I would switch over to comfort oriented tyres from existing GT3s and continue enjoying the fearless drive.
    Sent from Lumia 620 using Board Express
    3 people like this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    punto_emotion,
    well said bro,you are absolutely when with family.
    i have doen lot of night journeys with family,on undulated roads above speed of 80 Kmph the bottom used to scrap and have to stop on the highway in the night,get down and check for any oil leak,these are all headaches.
    Today i drive on the same roads speed above 80 Kmph and the bottom never scraps thanks to upgrade of tire profile change from 195/60/R15 to 195/65/R15 then i felt 5mm made lot of difference.i'm happy customer with tire profile change rather going for GC kit.

imran,
    check if any pre2012 punto owner have opted and running on GC kit and if they find the same bumpy ride.
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
    3 people like this.
  7. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    I don't why so many people are making so much noise about increased GC kit. I appreciate that at least FIAT did something on the feed back which they received from the pre-2012 owners. And i never found anything that annoying when ever we drove Punto 90HP with new GC kit. Yes there is a difference but new suspensions still creates win-win situation. Guys, please do not make " Rai ka Pahad ". The Punto is still THE best in it's class when it comes to ride quality and handling. With new GC kit you can take her to any damn road, i cant do that with previous suspension set up.:helmet

If anyone one you is still not happy with new GC kit, get in touch with me DONT MIND EXCHANGING PRE 2012 SUSPENSIONS WITH THE NEW GC KIT. now let me see how many IMs i am getting!!!!:evilsmile
    2 people like this.
  8. Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

Very well said buddy..there is abosolutely no point in blaming Fiat for the effort they are putting based on the customers feedback.
    People who are bashing fiat for the new GC kit,please take a old suspension set up car over some bad roads you would definitely come out a happy customer after the drive.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  9. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

@wolverine_arnab I would be more than glad if you could offer me a test drive and also drive my car and see if this behaviour of suspension is acceptable ?

By any chance, are you in bangalore ? Please PM me in case you are :)

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Imran, I can totally relate to your state buddy. My 90HP is a 2011 make with after market tyres while the 75HP is a 2012 with GT3 tyres.

I feel embarrassed whenever I take the family in the 75HP. It is that bumpy. Maybe the tyres for the most part as this 2012 plus GT3 combo is seeing the most complaints with regards to ride quality.

Before stripping down the car for defects in the suspension I would suggest you to install a comfort tyre like Michelin PLC or Bridgestone MY02 and see the ride quality.

And you could also observe that all those guys here who are advocating for the 2012 suspension kit do not have GT3 s on their rides. So they do not know tge discomfort we are experiencing.

Keep us posted on the updates. Good luck! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
    3 people like this.