1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Pls follow the air pressure guidance of 32 front and 30 rear in cold for Punto mjd. It is good for all aspects of the car and tyre performance. Be wary of 35 psi especially in summer as the expanded air will be more than 40 in the heat, and your car will bounce all over the place

2. fiat583

fiat583 Novizio

Hi All,

I am a big lover and owner of a Punto. The handling of this car is incredible. The steering is just so good. The build is too strong. The brakes are so confidence making.....and loads more...

This is thread is pointing on a very important issue. We can see that the same issue is raised by many owners, but in different ways like tyre pressure issue, body roll issue, bumpy ride, problems with stock tyre etc. In this thread also, dr.Stephen raises it as a body roll, but the truth and actual issue is that post 2012 Puntos and Lineas have an unacceptably bumpy ride!!. The real problem is not that the ride is little bumpy, but the bumpiness is at an unacceptable range.</SPAN></SPAN>

Yes, it is not at an ignorable rate that you can simply say that the GC was raised, so the suspension is little hard. These cars ride very much bumpy, especially on slower speeds, when you don’t want to jerk the car. It is simple physics that the cars suspension is raised, so it will be bit harder than previous one to maintain the handling. But the car jerks make you crazy at times.

Since many people drives it on a sportier way, they may not notice it much or ignore it or some people thinks since it is a good handler, it will be little bumpy due to hard suspension. But when Dr.Stephen wants to drive smoothly when his mother is in, the car never rides so. Very small irregularities in the road make the car jump uncomfortably. I can understand the situation very well because when I was trying all means for a smooth drive with my pregnant wife, the car is just bouncing irritatingly. I had to stop taking her in this car and started using my old zen for her which was much better. On the day one, while we were taking the car home, my co-passengers expressed a doubt that the ride is slightly bouncy. Never a person who travelled with me in the car told "good ride" as it should certainly come if it was a pre 2012 vehicle.

We can see that there are several threads where post 2012 owners are enquiring options for a smoother drive, better tyre etc, but may be no one has concluded the issue. Better tyres or lower tyre pressures are just work arounds for the issue, but I believe suspension tuning is the issue. May be Fiat needs to tune the suspension little more softer and introduce some other mechanism to substitute the handling.

I will wait for all post 2012 owners to comment on the bouncy feeling in the car on minor irregularities of the road in low/average speeds.</SPAN></SPAN>
  3. fiat583

fiat583 Novizio

Hi Team,

I am actually looking forward on hearing back on this item from other post 2012 owners. Please post your experience on the same.
  4. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    ^^ I do understand your concern. Though have felt my 2012 Punto's ride a bit harsh, it hasn't been way too alarming till date. Probably would have to drive a pre 2012 model to find the real difference. Hard compound GT3s does contribute to harsh ride.
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Well it was exactly the same experience for us, the low speed ride was highly irritating for my better half during her tenure. I had to swap my Punto with my father's i20 for sometime.
    But now things are better, although the low speed ride remains on stiffer side, there are no complaints as such. Moreover, I am feeling it has gotten little more smooth after 8k on ODO.
    I had driven my colleague's 2010 Punto with my better half (when she was expecting), found that the ride is absolutely butter smooth at any speeds. I remember she wished to have that Punto like ride always. I was thinking of changing the suspensions to the previous (<2012) Punto.

I doubt any suspension tuning can be done here as you have posted.
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

+ 1 Count me in. 2013 Punto 90HP and have the same problem. I suspect culprit to be Goodyear GT3 and the raise GC too.

I drove a 2011 Punto and found the ride quality is far better than my car. It sets a benchmark whereas the new GC gives you just an ordinary feel.

The passengers & I only complain about ride quality, there is no body roll, pitching or any other bad behavior. On rough patches, its really annoying for the people seating in the car :)

Desperate for the solution !!!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Platinumshine why dont you get suspension kit from Sachin Sawant?

He has spare suspension kit (<2012)
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. fiat583

fiat583 Novizio

So we are the unlucky fellows.
    Until I got the car, I was under the impression that it will have the best comfortable ride in the class, that was what the reviews were telling, but it was all about the old cars.

So, did any one change the GT3 and get any noticable difference? is there anything else that we can do like tuning the suspension or something like that? GC is a big issue while thinking of going to the old suspension kit!!

Anybody...any experience with any such expirements??
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Turn ON the music bro and forget about the body roll.i believe you are not jumping around in the car cabin.
    i would say try by maintianing low pressure in the tires(front and rear individually).Try with different pressure,i mean front(30psi) and rear(28psi) or as per your taste. try with low pressure.
  10. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I Test drove a Brand new Linea the other day,and i can relate to what others say.
    I have a Linea with 161mm GC and drove one with 190mm GC,that is ~30mm more.
    Those who say body roll is negligible when compared to old versions-I am sorry it is not,it rolls like a Hyundai now around corners:eek:
    2 people like this.