1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Nature love symmetry.This is evident from all the creatures around.This problem may be due to assymmetrty.If a problem arise we have to find a solution with the help of knowledgeble persons.Just going back to things which were thrown out is foolishness.
    Those who have experienced the same and got it corrected can really help.I request to put valuable suggestions
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    You think that everything that is old is bad - not the case with suspensions. The earlier suspensions used to give the best ride quality. Only problem was due to low GC the engine guard used to scrape below on the rough roads. People complained so much that it became a perception. Fiat cars touch the road - dont buy them.

So fiat increased the GC. thats it.

Even today when i changed my suspension i opted for the old ones and not new ones. As i have already learnt how not to scrape on rough roads. The old suspensions have better dynamics, less body pitch or body roll.
    3 people like this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Natural symmetry is restricted to external appearance. Internally, most natural creations are asymmetrical. As a matter of fact, the car is more symmetrical internally than any natural creation.

Having said that, what you are experiencing maybe due to a multitude of factors - suspension setup, tyre width and profile, tyre pressure, etc. If possible, try another car from the same time frame as yours, to see if that behaves differently. If it indeed feels better, then you may want to get your car's setup checked. I do not buy the explanation of your SE that this is due to increased GC. That just does not sound logical.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  4. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Thanks Italia-Linea! My Punto 2012 Emotion also suffers from the same symptom. At less speeds say 20-40 km/h the ride over rough roads gives a torrid time for co-passengers. I can very well see them bouncing inside the car. Many have given an opinion as to why my car bounces so much, sometime even on plain roads.

Before going for any changes I wanted to have those shock absorbers examined at Pandit Auto. If at all there could be any problems, what is that I should get checked at Pandit?

The things that were on my mind to reduce this pitching effect were,
    1. Either go for Yoko AVDB 550 or Michelin PLC (same dimensions as current on my Emotion variant).
    2. Or, change to 185/70 R14 ( I read on TFI this gives better ride quality).
    3. Or, reduce tyre pressure. but yes, this will cause flexing of side walls. not a good idea in the long run.
    4. Altogether change the suspension setup to the old kit. Each shock absorber costs 2500 /- as per TASS SA and he will source it.

If I go for option# 4, does the old kit cause a lot of scraping in Pune city and NH4 ( this is where I drive the most).
    PS: I haven't driven any other 2012 Punto (apart from TD car) so wasn't really generalising this as a common issue until but your explanation says it all.
    Kindly suggest.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  5. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Fiat introduced this upgraded GC cars not out of some problem with their engineering, its coz of multiple complaints from customers from india, thanks to govt of india for making such wonderful roads!! its a universal fact that lower the ground clearance, better the handling . Just go n try out somebody's old linea in some curves n try in a new one, you can feel the difference. almost 25mm GC increase is no big thing and its sure to have a slight negative impact, but Fiat RnD team have done a good job to minimise the effect by making the anto roll bar thicker and heavier to counter the pitching and body roll. go to the fiat service station n casually check the underbody of two lineas . a friend of mine has one of the first lineas and his relative has a new linea with increased GC... he swears that the new one cannot match the poised ride as that of the older one, as it sits loww !!
    If you want a more practical solution, you will get H&R springs which will lower the car by a few mm, and the springs will have higher tension which will give a slightly harsher ride, but better handling.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  6. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    The very simple thing is lower the car better the handling. I have a 2011 punto which was lowered and i would say lowering made it a true beast. I felt like a WRC driver every time i was taking a corner. For the practical side i would suggest to go for the 2011 springs and dampers so it would get solve the issue. 2012 cars have handling issues when compared to the previous cars.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    dr.stephen,

Try and take multiple test drives of other cars with increased GC before you attempt changing anything in your car. Ask the dealer for a TD car.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  8. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Gurjinderji,thankyou for your valuable and apt suggestion. As you suggested I have to check with other 2012 cars to see whether the same effect is there also.However,when I discussed this with the SE,his reply was ,this is there -in all 2012 cars.The real problem is when I take my mother(86 years old) out- this pitching effect is intolerable.Otherwise Linea is very comfortable.So if this can be reduced slightly by minor alterations-the ride will be very very comfortable.I have driven only these cars -Old fiat,Premier padmini,Standard(old),Ambassador,Opel corsa,Maruti 800,Old Willys jeep,(Land cruiser,BMW,Mercedes,when I was in Gulf)-These vehicles I have driven more than 3000 km each approx.Before my linea purchase ,I did TD only on Vento,and skoda rapid because I have short listed to these only.Any suggestions, without completely changing the suspension are requested from our members.GC of present can be lowered by 5mm (members have to suggest some method which does not compromise riding comfort also) as further reduction will cause driving here(kerala roads) horrible.I am not used to drive above 90km/h even in highways.S0 what I require is a comfort travel with good hanndling property also.
  9. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Good Morning,
    It will be informative to all of us if all those have 2012 Linea/Punto give their experiences regarding this increased pitching/roll of the car when we ride over uneven surfaces/road with uneven surface(not wit pot holes).My Linea is not at all comfortable to ride on surfaces mentioned above.This not because of the increase GC.The pitching is more than 25mm.The new dampers may be the reason.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Good Morning,
    It will be informative to all of us if all those have 2012 Linea/Punto give their experiences regarding this increased pitching/roll of the car when we ride over uneven surfaces/road with uneven surface(not wit pot holes).My Linea is not at all comfortable to ride on surfaces mentioned above.This not because of the increase GC.The pitching is more than 25mm.The new dampers may be the reason.
  10. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Hai,
    Increasing GC is not the cause.( I think so because Duster has 205 mm compared to 185 in Linea 2012.I haven't driven it-but from reviews I got it).As you have mentioned ,the new sping + damper may be the cause.Can you suggest one system which will reduce this pitching-especially front suspension.I am ready to spend upto 20000/- for rectifying this problem as it is horrible for my mother.I am waiting for the Abarth's launch to see whether their parts can be employed for rectifying this.Apart from this my linea is a very fantastic car.FE of 18 + with 23 degree centigrade full time ac in highway,15 + in city (Minor rattling from front left door and from rear left c-pillar side are some issues.For this I am witing for Fiat exclusive service centre's fully functional service.