1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    soori,
    go for a ground clearance upgrade, may be you require all new suspension set-up,may be out of box solution ! ::D
  2. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    driving over reflectors...:eek:...i think their is probably something wrong with your tires and rims . My Punto ride is very very smooth on good roads even after 36k kms , it gives a lot of premium feel .
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Soori, There is something seriously wrong with the car, i mean it. This is 1st time a genuine case came across where an i20 ride is superior is commented by a "FIAT owner". You may have tried on some other test vehicle but trust me things like suspension etc. can't be felt over 1 KM drive.
    One may have to intentionally focus to check it on all types of bumps for Hrs.
    I can say with confidence that rest of the owners who so ever has praised FIAT's ride, doesn't have additional spring set up fitted to bums to neutralize the bumpy ride. It's completely FIAT vehicle that does that, bumps are bumps so will be felt.
    Anyways, best of luck for your journey & take it back to TASS after returning. I feel there is some serious issue with the suspension.

@Vishnu: 2-3 days back, One of my colleague at office driven 90 HP for an hour or so for his personal work.He was also the guy who went with me on test drive when i bought my 90HP with 6 people overboard. I showed them hardest & standstill braking @150km/hr that they can ever experience in their life:p. I was expecting some good words from him for my 90 HP in praise of FIAT but he didn't say anything & returned me the key:(. Yesterday, he told me that he is exchanging his Jazz for Punto 90HP. I asked him why? He said he felt it as a complete TIN Box, fragile & just too backward in every aspect. No other words, it was like this. He went to Atta Market in Noida where he usually travels & there are lots of rough patches on the road. With the fuel mileage & ride comfort, he felt like he has been looted by Honda. He was more in a shocked stage so just handed over the key to me. Now that's the situation of some one who trusted Honda brand so much, driven FIAT for an hour & changed his set of beliefs. What do expect of me, a die hard FIAT fan who has got non-stop bloody reasons to like it?
    Everything else has to be a tin-box if it is not FIAT. May be you can exclude some exceptions like Polo, Fabia but it is TIN boxes everywhere. Else there is nothing about raving for FIAT, it's pretty ordinary like other cars:p.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    So, where are we on this?
  5. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Hello,
    I own a 2012 Linea MJD.Compared to my Indica 2003,the body roll{-more precisely the shaking effect when we go through rough roads-} is slightly more.This effect is also felt by my spouse and children also.This may be due to the increased GC of 185 mm compared to lesser GC of earlier models.Can anyboby suggest any method to reduce this shaking effect.
  6. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

hello,
    Even with the raised GC there is negligible body roll in Punto/Linea over the pre2012 models. I believe you are referring to bumpy/bouncy/stiff ride, correct me if I am wrong.
    Presuming that you maintain 32 psi (and not higher) it could largely be because of the newer stiffer suspensions in 2012 models. Maintaining 29/30 psi in all tyres should smoothen things a bit.

Even I am facing the same as reported by my family and trying to find a solution to it. My wife (who loves the Punto) has gone to an extent and said, we paid 7+ lakhs and got such horrible ride quality.
    I haven driven pre2012 Punto of my friend and the ride is butter smooth.
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    exhange the suspension with somebody who has 2011 model, and wishes to upgrade the suspension !!
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Is the alignment of the car fine and what tyre pressures are you maintaining.

I ask this because on a 2011 Punto with incorrect alignment, i experienced similar symptoms of an unsettled ride over bad surfaces. Got the alignment fixed and it was smooth and stable again.

Cheers.
    3 people like this.
  9. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    I am maintaining 32 psi in all tyres (done at tyre shop,so if we consider heating effect,roughly it will be around 29 to 30).Usually myself ,spouse and my daughter are the travellers.When I asked about this problem at R.F motors,cochin- the service engineer told me it is due to incresed GC.Basically I know something related to pneumatics and behaviour of springs in different combinations.I don't think an increase of approx 20mm will cause this much sidewise shaking effect on rough roads.This is more if we ride slowly over rough roads.slowly means at 20 kmph.If we take the same surface very fast -I don't know what will be the effect as I am a careful and stedy driver for the past28 years.Actually we cannot say this as body roll.This is related to individual wheel,especially front ones.I haven't driven 2011 Linea-so I cannot compare.
    As you suggested,I will be doing wheel alignment immediately.
    If anybody has any suggestions, plese place it here .This will be a help to those troubled with this type of issue.On smooth road
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    I guess you are referring to the body pitch, i.e the up and down movement of front and rear. Body roll is side ways twists which hardly happen on fiat cars.
    The 2012 suspensions are bit softer and has more spring rate than older ones. With the more weight of the car these tend to cause the pitching.

Wheel alignement has nothing to do with the way the springs are acting. May be next time when the struts life is over you can go for the old kit which is very good.

You need to maintain 33psi. Low air pressure causes side wall to flex more.

Also later on you can opt for low profile tyres which will better out the body roll.
    4 people like this.