1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride and stiff suspension

Discussion in 'Technical' started by abhiuday, Oct 12, 2014.

1. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    I frnds,

Off late the suspension of my punto mjd (2 yr & 20k old) has become very stiff. The ride quality is very bumpy and stiff. Visited ASS but as per them the suspension is ok. However, I can personally feel all the bumps and minute potholes of the road now.
    Need advice on checking the effectiveness of the suspension.

Abhi...
  2. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1. What is the tyre pressure ?
    2. How often do you rotate the tyres ?
    3. What exactly did FASS check and how ?
    4. Did you make the service advisor drive the car or make him set next to you and reproduce the problem?
    5. Which FASS are you talking about ?
    prabhjot and renlouis like this.
  3. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    1.Tyre pressure is 32.
    2.Tyre gets rotated at service interval
    3. FASS Service guy took a drive with me,
    we went onto a bumpy Road. I told him that amountnof jerks is high. He plainly said it's same for all punto as their suspension is stiff.
    4. Same as above
    5. Kashyap Fiat, Okhla, delhi
  4. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    They haven't done a thorough check if they have just driven the car. The suspension needs to be checked by lifting the car on a ramp and checking for any visible leaks. Although 20k is less for a suspension leak to happen you never know.

Get the suspension inspected on a ramp. Would also suggest you to drive another Punto (test drive vehicle) on the same patch and compare.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  5. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Is not the suspension of punto or linea on the stiffer side in slow speed? Normally I have felt the suspension to be brilliant at high speeds.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

vadodara-gujarat
    Abhiuday- Have you found any solution to your car's suspension problem? As I am also facing this issue in my 20k run 2013 model GP emotion. I can surely vouch for the fact that the suspension behavior has definitely changed. I am feeling jerks in ride quality even due to small undulation on the road which was not the case approximately 1000kms earlier. i am yet to go to FASS and try open all the suspensions. Do keep us posted.
  7. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

what tyres Mitesh? the stock Apollo get fairly hard after 20k km.
    In the last week, I got both front strut pads changed ( under ext. warranty). thereafter even I am seeing a weird ride behavior. It is not stiff as such but vague. The steering turns right vaguely on braking. It is more of tramlining. Is wheel alignment mandatory after strut pads change?
  8. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

vadodara-gujarat
    I am using stock Goodyear Duraplus 195/60-R15. though there has always been a good amount of tyre noise but it never affected the ride quality.
  9. kesav554

kesav554 Timido

Rajahmundry
    Better get the strut pads(elastic pades) and suspension tie end roads play checked. I have changed my cars strut pad and tie end roads recently, and ride has improved significantly after the change.
    RaviHegde likes this.
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I got complete steering rack twice. Tie rod ends is part ad parcel of steering rack.
    Still facing small undulation,hard suspension and excessive return tension of steering gear.
    Still there is small noise & clearance in steering gear. I think it is quality issue of steering rack.

WM says it is normal wear and tear of suspension system after clocking 50k