1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumper Guard Strips to be removed - Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by yok1987, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Hi friends,
    I want to remove this Bumper Guard on my car. it looks like it is stuck very well, this is stuck for over an year now. Since i had bought the car from the prev owner (rescued it from someone who had a sick taste). i checked with 3M, they wouldn't undertake a job like this.
    Sorry for the poor clarity picture, this is the best i have at the moment.
    i want to do it myself, so that i can take utmost care of the paint beneath it. Please suggest me with an adhesive remover or a proper process to remove it.

IMG-20130315-00459.jpg
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I have personally not undertaken any such endeavour but you would need a heat gun to soften it up - the glue holding it. Then take dental floss and run it like a cutting tool behind the strip. It should remove without damage. But can't say till it's done.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    It should be possible as Gurjinder suggested, as long as it was not stuck with something like super glue. Problem with most adhesive removers are that they will also remove paint. You may want to try using IPA, but it will work only on weak adhesives.

Rajan
  4. Thanks Gurjinder, I'd never have thought about a Dental Floss in here. THANKS. I will give it a try.

Rajan - I think I'm going to try Gurjinder's idea first.

Friends - LOOKING FORWRD TO MORE IDEAS PLEASE.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013