1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Build Quality Vs reliabaility

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Sep 21, 2011.

1. anicaution

anicaution Amatore

Kolhapur
    @ Karan,

Great FIAT....UNO....

Anicaution
  2. You are right, i have seen several of maruti's catching fire or original wiring burnt,but i never thought of that to be parameter for reliability.
    Vote is out,Jap cars are not anything more reliable than European.
  3. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Fiats are driven by passionate people who enjoy the every bit of DRIVE, while marutees are driven only to commute from one place to another like a work horse... nobody enjoys the drive in marutee, I had made many people sit with me in my punto who owns zen, dzire, swift, all say only one thing Fiat is a strong car, with great suspension and stability at high speed but the lack is FE,
  4. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Why not list down cars we have owned and problems we have faced? That will give a fair idea. My cars:

Daewoo Matiz SD (Non power Steering / windows etc) owned it for 2 years and about 50K kms. Niggling problems were there. There was a typical sound like a plastic bag being ruffled from the steering. It was never solved in the two years! No dealer could catch the problem! Apart from that, the muffler got rusted twice and was replaced. Nothing much besides that.

Fiat Palio S10: 2003 model, drove it till 2009 for about 85K kms. Nothing ever went wrong, I sold it with the original interior bulb in working condition! The crowning glory of this car was that I immgrated to Canada in March 2005 but came back in August 2006. In that duration, the car was hardly driven. When I got back, the interiors were all smelly and full of some fungusy white material. Dreading the worst, I turned the ignition and it started on first crank! Sure the alternator light was on constantly, I drove it from chembur to Goregaon (25kms) handed it over to Anuroop Fiat and all they did was service the car and clean the interiors. Even the alternator was merely 'serviced'. The Palio worked brilliantly till I sold it off in 2009 with that same alternator and never had a problem again! The entire Palio S10 ownership report is on TBHP.

Maruti SX4 ZXi: 2007 - 2010 50K Kms. Niggling problems galore. The car was delivered with the steering offset, handbrake not working at all and a grinding noise coming as soon as I started driving. I believe the drive shaft and clutch were replaced within 2 months through an unofficial recall. The steering was the worst I have seen in my entire life. Innumerable visits to the dealer yielded no solution. The car felt built to a cost though it cost over 8 lakhs on road! Agan, ownership report on TBHP.

Fiat Grande Punto Emotion PK MJD: July 2009, 37K Kms: CSC replaced twice through an official recall. Door beadings replaced. Besides that not much. Mechanically the car is sound and reliable so far. Feels built well, no rattles or squeaks yet. I am happy with the car but the poor quality interiors give you a 'something may go wrong' feeling. Entire ownership report here. Oh yeah, the engine check light came on during heavy rains. Dealer said it showed accelarator pedeal error. A reset solved the problem. The problem repeated again after a month again in heavy rain but the light stayed on just once. No problems after that.

As I said, the Palio S10 was the BEST and MOST reliable car I have owned. To add to it, it was also the most fun to drive! Fiat should thank the Palio S10 for making me buy another Fiat!
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    21.0kmpl -Gratious Fiat... in my Punto 90hp...how come lack fe??
  6. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    It's all about perception buddy. The Palio ghost just refuses to leave Fiat. Also, most people are like parrots. They believe things without actually experiencing them.

For them, Japanese cars = very fuel efficient , reliable and cheap to maintain. Toyota was forced to recall 8 million cars by law which equals about 4 years of total car production in India and people went gaga over how honest the company is! I spend 5K every time my city goes in for service which is every 3 months! Dishonest dealers are everywhere but somehow the Japs & koreans handle bad press much better or Indians are more forgiving towards them.
  7. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @amit

+1 to you buddy.There have been many recalls in the past 2yrs.Honda,Toyota,FIAT,Suzuki etc Swift had a silent recall for a weak brake booster.Honda city for its engine component connecting to the valve train.Toyota for some hose pipe related to the turbo.Gone are those days when japanese cars would last long really long and were quite reliable.Cars like Dzire catching fire is getting common now.Hyundai is passing out cars without proper R&D for indian conditions classic eg i20.People are fed up of it weak AC and steering rattling issues.Hyundai is hardly bothered about all this.
  8. Here is my past ownership experience with Jap car.
    I Owned a M800 (1998) model carburetor, I did not drive the car initially my father used to use it much.started using it regularly from 2003.

Car was very unreliable as I had instances of car stopping in the middle of the road with some blown fuse or starter carbon brush calling it it quits.

One time it's gearbox oil seal gave away making us stranded on the street in the middle of night.

It's much better not to write anything about body at all.

This was the car i experimented with going to Synthetic lubs, Many visits to mechanics to sort out the issues
    it's camber angle has some degree of -ve inclination but could never get it fixed.

Wagon R 2006 model
    I brought this topend variant with ABS/Airbags, good initially but weak suspension setup caused me to spend over 25K to get the caster and camber set right.
    I drove it for 67K kms, had strange problem ,where if i turn the steering right it would never come back to center on it's own(steering axis inclination)also it had lot of issues with rattling.
    Engine was OK until 2500 RPM after which it used to make very loud noise,complined to Maruti, they never resolved it.Contrary to best ASS what maruti is known for,I had difficult time in trying to reach beyond Dealer.
    car was well maintained with Mobil-1 and had iridium plugs for for it's time with me.
    Once i had a vacuum hose being blown out of size resulting in car piking it's RPM all the way to 5000-6000 with out touching the pedal.
    Car was giving bad mileage in city.

Maruti Zen 2003:
    we brought a used car, had issues still have issues with electrical parts,clutch went kaput two times although driven very less.
    Highway mileage is ok, but bad city mileage.
    Initiators and plastics started showing signs of aging with in 3 years,my father still drives the car.

Punto Mjd E-pcak March 2010
    I had no reliability issues so far, had share of quite a few niggles but I am happy with ASS what i got from TATA-FIAT in resolving the niggles.
    I can say this is the best car I owned.

I am happy with the mileage of 14-16 in city and 22+ on highway.
    This is the car where I have spent least money to maintain or add some bells and whistles.
    With 25 K Kms on odo, car's engine is very smooth and rev happy than it used to be before.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    As always, i would request all TFIans to try and avoid generalisations based on personal experiences.

Both Japanese and European cars are highly respectable. And we must accord equal respect to both.

P.S. I wouldn't think of Maruti Suzuki as a Japanese brand. It's pseudo Japanese. Toyota is a truly Japanese brand.
  10. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    My dear Japanese bashers on T%%%b&p, no way they can praise other brands than marutee....................

Just one thing i would say Y the people switch on to Euroness Because they feel safe in it which has a build quality like Tanlk, and they dont ever ask Kitne dethi hai, Infact they say Kitna Aaram se Chalti hai.......

I have a Punto 2010 model never faced a single issue with it,,,......

Please no Harsh feeling for maruti Owners, as they are envy on us inturn we dont envy on them just watch them with a smile