1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Build Quality Vs reliabaility

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Sep 21, 2011.

1. I am about to open a can of worms,below thred on TBHP praises Japanese cars for reliability!!
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...uld-run-out-business-without-german-cars.html

I owned Jap car all through out my life before turning to Italian stable Punto, I can certainly say there was never a day with out nay issue with all my maurti's.

In fact I thank Skoda/VW and Fiat for making cars at the price point of Jap cars but with more solid build and reliability.

I never had breakdown in Punto in last 1.5 years ,but I had many in my WagonR and 800.
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    I bet there wont be any car manufacturer in this world whose at least one model that hasn't broken down. Maybe 1 in 500 or say 1 in 1000 would have broken down.. All those pics shown and rare incidents. But that doesn't mean all German cars /models have problem. Let it be German, Italian, Japanese or US ,no car can be said as 100 % break down free and no company claims so.
  3. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    ya n upon that this toy car praises here in thane mumbai 6.81 lk Rs. with safety pack lolz
  4. Japs and Koreans are light weight and can be easily towed using another Jap or Korean car and hence there is no need to have flat-bed trucks ;)
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    when it comes to electronics , japanese cars are very reliable. its very rare that a bulb will blow or a fuse will blow. when it comes to european cars like bmw, skoda etc its very common that the ECU fails, electronic parts fail which render the car dead anywhere on the roads.

But the build quality - read as sheet metal and chassis is very strong. in case of accidents the occupants remain safer than in japanese cars.

Japanese cars are mostly practical without much fun and europen cars exclude passion.

the best example of reliability is " one can confidently take a maruti or toyota from kashmir to kanyakumari without fearing breakdowns"

In case of european car no one can predict when it might give up and leave u stranded.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    @Italia-Linea

Did you or your friends relatives faced this problem who owns European Cars.

Take an Example of J Ravi sir. He is from Banglore & took his Petrol Linea to Ladhakh, He is enjoying like anything with his Linea. Lets wait for his travelogue report.
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its just a general case that Italia has put up. one hardly spots and jap/korean breaking down but the biggies like mercs and bmw's and the likes can be found on nearly daily basis in delhi and NCR let alone other parts of the country

My relative owns a toyota land cruiser 2003(137400 kms) model and we are surprised to see how easy it is to maintain, apart from the usual service there are no major issues faced till now in these 8 years(touchwood), it is now that we are planning a complete suspension change, similarly take the case of a merc within 4 years it would have had 4 different owners and by the time it would reach the time our LC has lasted it would be sitting in a junk yard. its very hard to challenge the japs/korenas when it comes to ease of maintenance and trouble free service. Also no doubt the european cars a built like a tank but whats the point if u need to carry the tank on a tow van.
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Tbhp threads, mostly as usual are dragged by bunch of jerks . a kind of sarcasm follows through .

There is no or little difference to show up when it comes to failure of car no matter if it is japs or germans.

Most of the Japanese cars in India are entry levels which gets repaired on the spot even by a local mechanics .
    A fiat and other similar cars are very much complicated compared to alto or santro . so you will never find a smaller car on flat bad or being towed
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    yeah my ex-boss bought a brand new skoda superb. he was at a speed of around 80 and suddenly the engine shut off, the steering got non-responsive and the brakes got tight.
    he was lucky he dint meet an accident.

Reason- ECU failed.

our very own puntos and lineas have left stranded on roads due to broken clutch slave cylinders.

i am too going for a trip to tirupati- mysore- bangalore- ooty- kodai- co-org and some more places this weekend which will cover lot of distance.

my linea may or maynot break down. i have doubts in my mind.

As you know very well, i discovered myself that my car was fitted with plastic CSC. hadnt i discovered it and got it changed urgently before the trip - my travelogue would have containted the break down report too.

but i have maruti alto too which has done 75000 odd kms, not even a single bulb blew off. its still with original cabin lights. my lineas cabin lights blew off in 1st week itself.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Sad to hear all this...

Then why do we buy European instead of Jap or Koreans, because of build quality only.