1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Build a Garage

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Cubbie, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Surya, he already has pace for single car garage:)
    1 person likes this.
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Good to see responses pouring in to join hands. I will plan a casual meeting next month (busy with some family functions and a project)

i think start point lets meet at Fiat Caffee - Sat or Sun would be ideal.

Sat chit anand would need your ideas in person, i shall pick you from your place.
    1 person likes this.
  3. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys...good idea to build garage. It would also good if any one share information of TOOLS required for general servicing.

Tools used for following regular activities
    1. For unscrewing Engine oil sump
    2. Opening Engine oil filter
    3. To lift car with Hydraulic jacks ( This is the one which could be costlier )
    4. Draining Coolant ( Major service )
    5. Draining Gear Oil ( Major service )
    6. Draining Power steering oil ( Major service )
    7. Brake Oil ( Major service )
  4. :) sure, how about a little bigger place may be we can have TFI meet as well.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I think it would be a more easily doable option if we start small. How about we start out with basic tools - more suitable for DIYers to try what they like to do. We would need a place to park the vehicles, power source and access to tools. Getting and setting up a hoist could be a bit of trouble.

I think we need to do this realistically and personally, I do not see much use of having a hoist. Having said that, I think we need to carefully consider what we are going to use this setup for and how, before deciding on what we need to have there. Let us interested folks meet up sometime and take this forward.

Rajan
  6. venka

venka BANNED

OT :

opening small garage is negligible financial harm to all the FIAT ASS center. As it will cut their running repair income and labour charges on that.

If Adit gets to know that to discuss this plan caffe will platform then what he might think in his mind ? as its affecting his ASS business in a negligible percentage :eek:
  7. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Shouldn't matter i suppose, the hobby garage will be a hobby for some years atleast. I can service two wheelers, clean the carb, tune it, oil replacement + wash a car, and do some detailing work

FIAT ASS would have bigger jobs to attend i suppose.

As Rajan stated it will be very basic to start with. This year i have promised myself to buy a old 2 wheeler around December and try to restore it.. Even if its a Luna i dont mind, but i am eyeing yezdi or scooter as parts are easy to source and restore than old mopeds. So lets gather to put our passion into work.

which weekend day is good in July for the meeting ?
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    To start with, You could gets these + a Hydraulic jack instead of investing in a hoist.
  9. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Agreed Hoist will be the last thing in mind and not even in my wish list.

One of my uncle mentioned to hunt for old fiat or mahindra / jeep jacks, he asked me to scout scrap yards as they would have it, load bearing capacity is much more than current age jacks.

Bangaloreans, which place is best for scrap yard sale? As a boy i was always fascinated and loved to visit scrap yard, dad used to sell old trinkets, papers and adhoc things to scrap dealers back in time. In my college days in Mysore, i used to visit scrap market near lashkar mohalla just for time pass. They used have some interesting stuff and my college project was done using the scrapped cycle, wet grinder and a portable mill!! Cycle powered wet grinder and mill got 80 marks !!
    1 person likes this.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Go to either JC road or shanthinagar Gujri . (Its that narrow road in front of urvashi threatre leading to double road).

If you go to Shantinagar Gujri then you need to be careful and bargain for all the things . There isn't a thing in automotive world that you will not get there.
    i've personally seen a friend of mine buy a complete contessa Engine block .
    If you do the research well you will get really good products from there are dirt cheap prices. Just make sure you take along your trusted mechanic or read a lot (I mean A LOT) about how to search for gold in junk before you even step foot because rest assured if your going to that place you will be overwhelmed by the size of things they stock.
    Its just lanes and lanes and lanes of automotive parts.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013