1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Budget 2013: Set back to Fiat?

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by mightymaveryk, Feb 28, 2013.

1. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As the Budget 2013 is presented in parliament and the tax sops and tax increases are announced, the bad news for the car market too. The tax for the SUVs are increased 3% from 27 to 30. The tax on the CBU is increased from 75% to 100%. The bikes above 800 cc attracts 15% more tax (shot up from 60% to 75%).

As Fiat is bring the Jeep brand to India, the cost of these models will be shoot up. This will burn a big hole in the buyer's pocket too. The enthusiasts like us are going to curse the FM for this than the automobile manufacturers. So what plans Fiat will be making on the Jeep brand now?
  2. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    The govt's plan here is to encourage manufacturing locally. There is obviously some reason why this has not happened already, but I am not aware of the industry realities.
  3. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The industry looked for 5% cut on tax as the market for the SUVs growing rapidly. But it happened in reverse. Even the Jeep is manufactured locally, the parts costs more as Fiat don't compromise on parts which is already in international stable. The reason given by FM is that the SUVs are fuel guzzlers and big in size to drive/park... :lol
  4. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Was that in the FM's speech or the media's take? If the FM said that I don't know what to say :eek:
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Well, the excise for SUVs increased from 27% to 30% and the increase is applicable only to private owners. Not for Taxis.
  6. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    SUVs occupy more space. I have seen office goers using SUVs. Mostly he/she alone will be there in the vehicle. It makes sense at least in Bangalore where I stay. FM did not say not to drive SUVs, just that we got to pay more. NOM. My own opinion.

- - - Merged Post - - -

If you meant to say that taxes should be levied more based on FE, Space they occupy, I agree. But then we already pay for the length of the vehicle. Taxing all SUVs more may be unnecessary...
  7. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This increase makes sense considering the bigger picture where manufacturing in India will be encouraged. So for the SUV manufacturers to stay in the game a more expensive and similarly featured CBU will not push their products out of the showrooms. And yes SUV eats a lot of road and parking space, should pay more, if you dont want to pay more go for the sub-4 meter category. But then there is another stupidity attached, some sedans take more road and parking space, that leaves us to think whether proper homework was done or was Ford behind the game to push Duster to a higher price and the EcoSport to play the nice boy being sub 4meter.
  8. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    slightly off topic. Are only 42,800 people all over india earning more than 1 crore per year? C'mon!
    1 person likes this.
  9. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    Yeah, for Duster or which ever SUV is going to come the same way, this will be bad. Especially considering the fact that such SUVs have around 20kmpl mileage.
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I still can't understand why they have targeted only the SUV's telling that it takes more parking space. The fact is, many of the sedans are lengthier than some of the SUV's. For the record, Linea is lengthier than the Duster. :)
    1 person likes this.