1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

BS Motoring FTD Test Brio vs Swift 1.2 vs Punto 90 vs Fabia 1.6

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by vIjAy_kHaSa, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Source:- BSM FTD Test - Honda Brio vs Maruti Suzuki Swift vs Fiat Punto 90 vs Skoda Fabia - Down the hatch

Fiat Punto 90

You half expected it, didn’t you?

Well, stereotypes can also be true sometimes, right? ‘Fiat makes driver’s cars’ is one of those, but the Punto 90 does prove it is true. Despite being the oldest hatchback around, this hatch can be called ageless in terms of its FTD abilities. Oh, and after all that, it looks so jaw-droppingly good too!

The Punto 90 is a no-drama car. It quietly went about demolishing the slalom run as if it had been born to do this every day. Sorry about it, but some clichés are also true, like the one that says ‘handling like it’s on rails’. No other hatchback sold in India does that. Rapid directional changes just don’t fluster it. The steering feedback is firm and offers terrific precision.

What it means to you: That you have a hatchback that is dynamically sorted and obeys your commands. When you have to sift between slow moving traffic, this should be your weapon of choice. But a rider: you need to be at the right gear and in the right rpm range.
    Like with the phenomenal ability to shift weight between both sides without flustering you, the braking and collision avoidance is also accomplished smoothly. At the braking marker, you can just slam on the brakes and it sheds speeds rapidly. So rapidly that the obstacle does not even pretend to be one.
    What it means to you: Brakes provide good stopping power and pedal feedback is good too. Avoiding an obstacle is done effortlessly, as the steering allows you to manoeuvre precisely.
    Taking the left-hander at more than normal speeds, the Punto surprises you with its precision again. You can simply track the front left wheel and position it where you want to. And it barely understeers, keeping to your intended trajectory well and true. On the roundabout, it maintains its line without wanting to break out, even if you increase speeds.
    What it means to you: This car is a terrific corner carver. Keep the engine on the boil and you can really straighten them all. The steering makes this package a winner.

Okay, it cannot all be perfect, can it? It is established that the Punto is a dynamically sorted car, with attributes that should ideally be seen in larger sedans. And that ensures it gets the trophy here and not the performance from the drivetrain. The specs may look good on paper, but it is the gearing that mars the package. The Swift diesel for instance can show Fiat how it is done, despite the lesser horsepower. But mid-range and usable power is not that bad. Here are the figures: 20 to 60 kph: 5.50 seconds, 40 to 80 kph: 6.83 seconds, 80 to 120 kph: 12.35 seconds.
    What it means to you: Provided you know how to flog the engine and make the best of the open highway given to you, the Punto 90 awards you with the requisite rush. Congrats, Fiat!
    11 people like this.
  2. shams

shams Esperto

nice article but i wonder why straight line performance was limited till 120kph. punto 90hp shows its true colors only beyond that speed :redcar
    1 person likes this.
  3. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Agree completely on this article..

I have driven Swift & i20...but when I drove my Punto on Yeshwantpur flyover near BMTC in B'lore..which is infamous for Karunanidhi convoy accident (their vehicles could not negotiate the curve on flyover...which is very curvy :) )...justified how awesome punto is...

I drove it with just two fingers with a minimal of effort & almost nil acceleration....my wife who knows nothing about cars...just excalimed WOW..she felt like she was in a smooth swing!!
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    What are they comparing with? Are they talking about 1.3 MJD or 1.4 Fire? It is confusing for me.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

ramjn they are talking about 1.3 MJD VGT 90 HP
  6. sungoa2010

It is true that gearing shadow the initial performance. But I cannot agree fully with the last paragraph. It is again a performer once it come out from second gear. It is not the Swift that shown Fiat how to tune, Swift has learned from Fiat how to tune, a very much obvious fact, once we drive new Swift. The wight factor is very much aiding Swift and one cannot attribute it to their engine performance.
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Aah! Beyond 120, Punto will be all alone and others no where to be seen. So you cannot have a competition right? :lol:
    4 people like this.
  8. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Grande Punto 1.4

HA!! I AM JUST LOVING IT !!!!!!

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

now haven't we heard that before ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  9. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

I felt that on the road today, I scrapped a car in parking while getting out and my front bumper too. However, the turns are just amazing as i can't even drive properly yet. I could turn at speeds above 60 and the turns were very steep. Unbelievable handling.
    Good to see that the mighty 90 is getting the recognition it deserves.
  10. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Swift is like a teen ager who recently learned driving. Teen agers always like to drive fast but without responsibility & maturity. One the other hand Punto is like a experienced one which is fully responsible and matured.
    4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.