1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brilliant experience with Fiat's RSA

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Aceman82, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Aceman82

Aceman82 Timido

next ntibedm
    I would like to narrate a true story on Fiat's RSA and would like to convey my appreciation to Fiat.

4:00 am:

As with any story mine started on extremely rainy day (heady downpour actually....papers said that it was the most rainiest day in some X years or something...did not read it fully but just saying about the conditions) early in the morning at 4:00 am in Chennai. I had to go my relatives house early in the morning due to some personal medical tragedy on which I do not like to discuss in an Open Forum.

Anyway reached the relatives place at 4:30 am and saw a perfectly camouflaged pot hole on the Right hand side on the otherwise perfect road. How perfectly camouflaged you ask , the below pictures would explain better :evilsmile

20130912_074659.jpg
    Better prespective.jpg
    20130912_113906.jpg
    As you can see from the above pictures and a pictorial representation this pot hole is enough to swallow tanks. Probably army can hire these road designers to lay traps in the India-Pakistan border. :lol

I had mentioned above I had spotted the right side Pot hole in just the nick of time and thinking that left side should be okay, I slowly moved my car to left hand side to park the vehicle. Since it was raining cats and dogs and due to the nature of the visit, I did not get down and perform a visual inspection, a big mistake. Anyway after a few seconds , I felt the car slipping and get stuck.
    Sure enough there was identical pot hole in the left hand-side also and the vehicle got stuck but the story does not end there :devil.

Stick Linea.jpg

4:30 am:

Now it was about 4:30 am and I was not sure where any mechanicals was hit and anyway since the car weighed close to elephant, plus it was a thunderstorm and due to the state of mind, I was in no mood to attempt an recovery. Thus went inside the house and after 20 minutes called the Fiat RSA helpline at 4:50 am.

Now going through what is mentioned about Fiat (and since RSA was free), I actually never expected anyone to pick up the call but someone picked up the call in some 5-7 rings , got all details and promised an call back in 5 minutes from the local technician. Frankly , I never expect the call back (yes, I am an very pessimistic person :D) .

5:00 am (Twist in the tale):

But in some 10 minutes , I actually got a call back from the local mechanic who noted down the details and promised to arrive at the scene in 20 minutes. Now , this I really did not believe since it was something like a thunderstorm outside and even call taxis were not plying.

Anyway just as I was keeping the phone down, I heard another bang. The pothole just took another hapless victim. This time it is one of India's favorite car, the Wagon-R. Now there are two cars which are stuck in the same place,blocking the road.

To keep a long story short, another of my relative who was arriving at the scene , saw my stuck car, decided to avoid it by going left (where another of our stealthy killers are present) and goes inside the pothole. Strike 2 for the Pot hole. :chair:

I know it sounds like fiction and hence , please see the below picture to get an idea.

Stuck_Wagon_R.jpg

5:20 am:

By now the Wagon-R person was convinced that no one is going to come and started searching for Maruthi RSA (which did not exist...I think), kept calling the service centre who never picked up. It was not a big deal and but I am just saying that just because one has a service centre on every street does not mean that the response would be quick.

5:30 am:

Someone actually came in the heavy rain to attend the car. Anyway the RSA guy inspected the car and said that the car is resting properly and there is no mechanical damage and can be reversed if some 8-10 people pull the car up. By that time a lot of people had come and we lifted the car up and reversed our way out of the pot hole.

Since the Wagon-R was also our car we requested the RSA to help out with the same technique with the Wagon-R also but this time only 4 people were required to lift the car and the Wagon-R was pulled out from the Ditch. Now Fiat RSA guy rescuing a Maruthi car ...what is the world coming to ? :evilsmile.

5:45 am:

Both the car has come out and now time to inspect the damages and I kept my fingers crossed since it was a 1 week old car. Actually did not bother too much at that time but looking back since it was a one/two week old car , I would have kept my fingers crossed in normal senario.

Anyway below is a list of damages,

Fiat Linea:

a) Nothing.
    b) Really Nothing.
    c) Absolutely nothing.

I know it sounds unbelievable but there was zero damage. There is no drift and pull in the steering, here is no broken plastic parts, no damage to the bumper, no damage in the inside (the engine guard had some wet dust) and just be sure , I got wheel balancing done and checked the alignment along with the checking the underbody. There is just no trace that something happened. Everything was as it was.

Everyone says that Fiat cars are heavy but credit where it is due , I would prefer the Fiat's heavy build even-though it might affect mileage slightly.

Wagon-R:

a) Bumper broken and huge scratch marks
    b) Broken Plastics everywhere including on the rear. (Soft suspension caused the car to Sag and just fall down hitting everywhere)
    c) Wonky steering.
    d) God knows what else, did not check.

I know that comparing a 5L car with 10L car is not fair but I cannot ask a Dezire/SX4 to fall down in the same conditions to do an experiment :D.

To conclude,

a) I thing Fiat is really making a move. While we were still thinking on what do for the Maruthi car , Fiat car was rescued. Talk about oxymoron's.

b) The Full turnaround time during a thunder and rains was 35 Minutes. I know that this is in City limits but I am still very impressed.

c) The RSA guy did not ask or accept a single rupee, even when we forced him to accept some money. He just said that he is glad that he could be of assistance and left.

d) Fiat cars are tough. This was a Live Demo.

I would like to appreciate Fiat's prompt RSA support and wish Fiat all the very best in India.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    27 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Unfortunate incident. But, I enjoyed reading your post. Excellently narrated. :)

FIAT RSA Rocks as always.
    2 people like this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    A witty narration of a sad episode. I had a hearty laughter when I read this line forgetting for a moment the mental agony you had undergone, Aceman82.
    1 person likes this.
  4. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    kudos! fiat RSA

twice i used RSA,excellent service.in addition to that they employed person who knew local language as well,since i knew only broken hindi, sensing this they forwarded the call to another employee who knew tamil. very intuitive indeed.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Glad that you got a live demo of the legendary FIAT build quality within a week of purchase, albeit under stressful circumstances.

The only thought that came to my mind - "You drive a Maruti and have a problem in the middle of nowhere - Fret not, there is a service centre close by. OTOH, You drive a FIAT and have a problem in the middle of nowhere - Fret not, help is on the way" A big applause to the RSA team.

Appreciate your sentiments, but still, I hope the next of kin of yours who was the affected in the medical tragedy gets well soon.

This in a world where someone from a service provider I use calls me from Mumbai and insists on talking to me in Kannada, as I am based in Bangalore. I refuse to speak to such jokers in Kannada, as they speak Kannada as nicely as I can speak Latin :D

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    I am sorry that you had to go through such a bad situation in the tougher times.

OTOH, bravo FIAT RSA bravo. :clap

P.S: You have narrated one of the bad moments with a high inspiration mate ;) Can feel the joy you had in narrating it to us with pics.

Well, if just 1 wheel stuck in a pot holes breaks bumper, some plastics, i wonder if at 50, a crash in wagon R will make it look like auto or 3 wheeler moped :evilsmile. Anyways not of any concerns here. ;)
  7. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for sharing....
    I currently own both these cars :p
    1 person likes this.
  8. S A SHAH

S A SHAH Regolare

Srinagar
    Linea T-Jet
    We people are better off at Srinagar,J&K, we neither have Fiat-service nor FIAT-RSA at all. Congratulations to you, you have Fiat-RSA and such pot-holes as well.
    1 person likes this.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Let us not get carried away by the damage to the waggy and get into mudslinging mode, thus ruining the spirit of the thread. The damage to the waggy was mostly due to the tyre size, I think.

Rajan
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Good Lord, those things are dangerous!Thanks for sharing your experience with the Linea and RSA with us.

It is one tough car for sure. I once went through a BIG pothole @100kmph and the sound which came was more like a mini explosion. I was thinking - suspension, tyre alloy all gone. Stopped the car at the side, all fine. Drove at 80 again, all fine no noises no vibrations. I was not expecting that !
    2 people like this.