1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Breakpad Change

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by ArunPapanna, Jul 28, 2015.

1. ArunPapanna

ArunPapanna Timido

India
    Hi,
    I own a punto 1.3 MJD car. I had taken my car for 3rd free service(24 months) . It had run 17.5 kms. My service advisor was telling me that brakepad should be changed after 24 months. When i asked him if there is some issue with brakepad, he said that it should be changed mandatorily after 2 yrs. But my car hasn't run that much for 2 years . I'm confused . What do you guys think about it ?
  2. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It is a wear and tear part. The change depends on the wear and the thickness of the pad. There is no such timeline.

Welcome to the TFI club, share more exp about your car and driving experience.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Brake fluid have to be changed every 2 years advisor must have been mentioning about brake fluid. Pads dont have any km or year limit.
  4. ArunPapanna

ArunPapanna Timido

India
    Thanks guys.. Yes, brake fluid was changed as part of this service..
  5. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    what is the thickness of brakepad lining leftover now. If its less than 2-4mm, please change them.
  6. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    FASS is right 2 year is high reason to change the pads. Pads are basically compounds of metal or non mettalic materials depending upon the price. They have a tendency of harderning or aging with time due to temp gradients.
    The pads when aged will harden and will create low amount of friction and will just rub against the disc.
    There will be 2 adverse effects
    1) you will suffer loss of braking efficieny thus stopping distance will increase
    2) They will have a tendency to scratch the disc surface thus tearing it which eventually you have to change

so better change the pad. This phenomena is with all brands except if you have some real expesive braking system.