1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Break liner damaged - Replaced under Warranty!!!

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by fiat_fan, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Valid point.
    And I doubt whether they will even consider because the car has already done 40k kms and the post doesn't say how old is the car. Brake liners normally last more than 40k.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    I always park car with out engaging hand brake .. In my earlier car (Alto) it happend and mechanic advised not to engage hand brake while parking for long. Till now I am following the same.. Still It happens in Punto...
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

I only said the chances are high and didnt mean that it is the only way you will have such a problem. Ive done 75K on my mjd and yet to change the rear brakes. Operating conditions and usage are different for each vehicle. If you are from Calicut, due to constant rain, there could be some rusting inside or water with mud entering the brakes and jamming . Anything can happen. To claim / escalate or not is your take end of the day. Since you highlighted your issue, some thoughts have been expressed by Tfians including me. Thats all:)

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Many a times I have heard the "tak" sound just once after disengaging the hand brake and moving forward, may be releasing of the jammed rear brakes, though I don't use muscles to engage hand brakes, just 2-3 "tiks".

I heard people telling that after starting the car, you should always move a little forward before reversing. I practice that. Does starting and reversing the car after a few days of inactivity cause any problems to the rear drums/liners?
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It's a double edged sword really.

Parking with the handbrake on for long periods is really not a good practice. Stop it with something such as a wooden wedge and then engage a gear - the wedge will stop the car from rolling and the gear will prevent the car from rolling away in case some miscreant removes the wedge. I use a simple brick behind one of the rear tyres and it serves the purpose.

Cheers.
  6. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    No problem friend..... I just point out that it was not a mistake from my side.. I dont expect to get it replaced in warranty as it is already 40k and they can deny the claim. But see here in kerala only this year Monsoon comes stronger. My Punto was bought on 2011 august. So If the conditions are the culprit then I cant say more on that. It could be one reason. But when you compare with other brands it makes headache. otherwise it is not a problem.
  7. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    The problem solved

Today whole issue solved as dealer got information from Fiat to change Brake shoe kit under warranty...It is 100% satisfactory response from Fiat. Big thanks to Fiat India and Mr Mangesh.
    Mods please change title and close the thread....
    Thanks for TFI members for giving suggestions on this issue...
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Glad that the issue has been solved to your satisfaction.

Thread closed as requested by the OP.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.