1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

BRAKING ISSUES

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sandy_peseyie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    we had a trip to khat areas of Idukky district in kerala and when I used breakes continously while coming from the top of the hill, there was some noise and some burned smell from the two front wheels. When tried to touch it was too hot to touch. is that normal for Punto?!!! The trip was just after the 15k service .. Another problem is squeeking noises while taking sharp curves even when there is no breake applied. It was not there before we sent the vehicle for the service. !!! at the time of service SA told me that break pads have enough life to complete atleast 22k. but dont know what happend...
  2. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut

contacted with SA he told that for every vehicle the problem persists if we go on pressing the break pedal instead of controlling speeds with gears. If we apply breaks continuously for 10-20 mins breaks will be burn out quickly. Thats common for all the vehicles. I am satisfied with explanation, but still waiting for opinions the experienced members here. Thank you
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune

Same happened to me when i was descending the Oooty ghats. Its quite natural. the brake pads due to constant friction heat up a lot. Secondly with constant braking the vacuum required by the booster to generate more braking power reduces and at times you feel as if you brakes failed for a moment. This mostly happens if your RPMS are low.

Always descend in 2nd or 3rd gear if the ghat is very steep. The revvs when around 2000-2500 generate good vacuum to assist the brakes.
  4. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut

Thanks for the reply. I was going very much steep roads for the first time. next time I will be careful.