1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brakes squeaking even after brake pad change , the noise never stopped

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by theblack, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Well, even after changing the discs and brake pads, the noise hasn't gone away. It went away when I test drove it after the changes done. Started coming again, though frequency has reduced and it comes only when car is about to almost halt. Going to Oberoi Fiat on Saturday to get it checked again. Thinking of getting the bearings inspected. Would appreciate if someone can give idea what else to get checked. I am losing faith in Oberoi Fiat's technicians.
  2. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    I am at a risk of being stubborn here, but anything for my beauty to run it trouble free.;)

I went to Oberoi Fiat yesterday, they again scrubbed the brake pads and did some adjustment in hand brake. Not sure why hand brake was to be adjusted but I let them work on brakes the way they wanted. Test drove it and no whistling sound observed. They also let me drive another TJet [prefacelift model] to check if the whistling noise comes in that and bingo, I could bring the same noise in that car too. Also, it mostly comes with the way I do the braking, o man! The service person couldn't reproduce the noise in my car and that car, no matter how he braked, whether softly or braking hardly. I came back home and again got the slight whistling sound. Hmmm...

It would be great if members could suggest if it exists in their TJets. How to get to the problem: I am an expert now on having the TJet produce this whistling sound! Try it on by braking slowly at a slower speed to slow down the car and then leaving the brake and again braking to halt it. See if you get a slight whistling sound from the front discs/brakes.

For now, looks like a non issue in the sense as I am thinking that it may be coming in every TJet. I checked with @Biraj and he mentioned that similar noise is in his TJet too since day 1. He also mentioned that sometimes it gets more audible. So, I guess it's a trait in TJet due to stronger and sharper brakes it possesses. Thanks to @prabhjot for sending me a PM and helping me out. I am not much worried now and will monitor the noise if it starts to increase.

P.S.: The other car was a customer car which came for servicing and they had to test drive it to check it. They offered me to drive it and I went ahead but at the same time, respected it the way I respect my car.
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I think what you are facing is the problem explained in http://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-articles/brake-noise-solutions/

Quoting from that page: "Squeaks happen when the pads vibrate against the piston and bracket when the brakes are partially applied. When reinstalling the pads, add brake lube between the shims and pads if possible."

But be careful not to get any of that stuff on the braking surfaces. You know what happens if you do that mistake :p

See this page - that also has some good information about brake squeal: http://www.dixcel.co.jp/en/subcontent/literature/literature04.html
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  4. Aviator

Aviator Amatore

Delhi / Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Can somebody recommend me a good workshop in Hyderabad where I can get my discs resurfaced/machined?

Thanks
  5. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    I have always had the squeaking sound off and on since i got the car. The first time it happened it coincided with some work at FASS and i really troubled them to get rid of it but it persisted. Sometime later i was at 3M for a wash and they had 4 guys thoroughly clean out the wheel areas and post that the noise went away for almost 2 weeks but then re-appeared again - i do not bother with it now since it has absolutely no effect on the braking force of the car. I clean the area up every time i clean the car myself and sometimes it goes away and sometimes it does not.
  6. sudipz

sudipz Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    I've a TJet from December '10, and have had horrible troubles with brake noise. I call it the whistling sound!
    My FASC says this is wear and tear part and this is usual.
    After a lot of haggling with them, and disc skimming, pads replaced, etc, nothing helps honestly.
    The two things that surprise me - have had a wagonR, now an Estilo (70k) and never heard such noises.
    The TJet makes me feel I drive an auto - whistles!
    It'll be great to have solution from Fiat.
  7. vaibhavc

vaibhavc Amatore

Goa
    I changed my front break pads at 66000 Kms and ever since I am getting that squeaking sound. Its really very irritating. I had to change the shoe pad at a local garage and that too with a local brand, not the originals. I was reluctant to use a local brand but had to as i had no time to go to FASS and had to drive the next day to Bangalore-Pudducherry.
    But now after the drive i intend to change the shoe pad to the originals as even the gripping is not that good. I regret for not having used the originals.
    It cost me 2100/- along with labour for the pads. I feel its not worth to use after market shoe pads at least.
    Also i would like to add that i have had no problems with squeaking sound with the original pads which were last changed at 30,000 kms.
    PradeepM likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I cannot say about this matter in general, but it does seem, from @Biraj 's research (there is link to it somewhere here or on teambhp), like the original Fiat brake pads, at least for the Linea t-jet, have a degree of metallic content for longevity and efficancy and potency, which is why they are more prone to some, usually mild and episodic, sound.
  9. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    That makes sense - when some metallic content is rubbing it makes sound and sound stops when the metallic part becomes smooth. May be after a while another new piece starts rubbing making noise and it goes away when it becomes smooth. Cycle continues!
    --- Double Post Merged, May 15, 2015 ---
    That makes sense - when some metallic content is rubbing it makes sound and sound stops when the metallic part becomes smooth. May be after a while another new piece starts rubbing making noise and it goes away when it becomes smooth. Cycle continues!
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. puntophile

puntophile Amatore

Indirapuram NCR
    The problem is not in the metallic content, IMHO. While replacing brake pads, the calliper ends, the retainer clips and the corner ears: i.e. all the parts that come in contact with the caliper assembly excepting the disk surfaces, MUST be coated with a layer of copper or molybdenum high temperature grease. The squeal happens due to acoustic resonance when braking. In some cases it is audible in some cases, not. Purely chance pe dance.

The best thing is while replacing, to categorically ensure that the grease is applied. More is not better, just a dab, smeared uniformly. Just like we use damping for ICE, similar analogy here.

NOW, many workshops do not have copper or moly grease. It is a good idea to carry your own and ask the mechanic to apply it. Normal grease, which they apply will burn out after few tens of kilometers, hence some people report repeat squeals after a period of silence.

OEM ATE Punto pads, are ceramic pads, if I am not mistaken. They won't say it, but as per ATE website, they make only ceramic pads these days. Or am I wrong?
    prabhjot likes this.