1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brakes squeaking even after brake pad change , the noise never stopped

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by theblack, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @Samy Alamuri, thanks. Please suggest what exactly does brake discs resurfaced mean. Sorry, have no knowledge on this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Watch this — (a bit crude mannered, many do it much better than this in India)

prabhjot and Saket Sidana like this.
  3. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks @asimpleson.
    I went to Oberoi Fiat today. They again scrubbed the brake pads and I was not convinced that it would resolve the issue. Test drove it and the issue didn't go away fully, though it got a little better. Next action was to change both the front discs and brake pads and Bingo!!! Problem resolved is what I thought. I test drive it for 8-10 kms and issue no noise was heard from brakes. Went to Delhi in the evening and drove around 45 kms. No noise heard. Back to my place where there are 2 steep ramps to go to the parking and I could again hear the noise but it was very very faint. Will need to check again on a cold start as at that time, noise used to be very audible earlier.
    One thing I learnt today was that warranty for brakes is only till 5K kms. I didn't know about it and good that I took the problem seriously and got the discs and brake pads replaced[they were lusty] else it would have burnt a 14-16k hole to my pocket. Just wanted to share this piece of information.

Request to members to suggest if they have any such issue in their Linea/Punto. Is the problem I mentioned worrisome or I can ignore it if it remains very faint? There is no lack of bite in the brakes, they are damn responsive! I do not hear an iota of noise on the same ramp on my Santro. Could it be due to sheer weight of TJet going down the steep ramp?
  4. Samy Alamuri

Samy Alamuri Amatore

Bhimavaram, India
    The video posted above is what im talking of
  5. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If braking is perfect, please continue for some more time or else report back the issue again to Fiat and check the issue again at FASC.
    Saket Sidana and prabhjot like this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Saket Sidana

Am much less than knowing about technical matters but it seems to me @asimpleson 's spot on. I suspect you'll be fine: you should only worry if the slight noise worsens. The brakes are acting fine otherwise, right, after all?

cheers
    Saket Sidana likes this.
  8. Samy Alamuri

Samy Alamuri Amatore

Bhimavaram, India
    @Saket Sidana
    have got my cars rotors done as show in the above video
    no issues good to go and braking wont be good for some kms as they need to adopt
  9. shekar

shekar Timido

Hyderabad
    Thank you guys
    @asimpleson I agree that the best and easy fix is change the discs and pads with a new ones. But i am surprised that the discs have such a short life (can agree with the break pads, as these are more dependent on driving style n conditions), my earlier car disc lasted till 40k and i replaced it more for reasons of rusting than issues with them. If its really the 'norm' with mjd then i think Fiat needs to do a lot more to get a good quality spares in their cars

Also, i want to try out grinding the rotors part. Does anyone know a place in hyderabad who does a good job.

Can someone suggest a good brand for the break pads as well. The fiat ones dont last long. I heard RANE/TVS and BOSCH make the break pads. Is anyone aware if they make it for Fiat Punto? Mine is an MJD model with the 'butterfly' type calipers.

Also posted pics of my rotors and breakpad types. Please let me know if the discs are worn out and need replacement or grinding do?

@Saket Sidana would you be able to tell me where you got the disc pads/rotors grinded?

altAkh2j1Age0g3uZPGvo-OJ6tYCya5WMlJmqx0raTt197S.jpg

WP_20141220_002.jpg

WP_20141220_004.jpg
  10. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @shekar, I got the discs and brake pads changed as they were in warranty.