1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brakes squeaking even after brake pad change , the noise never stopped

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by theblack, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
  2. I thought I was the only one having this issue. Even my punto is making noise while braking after I got m y brake pads changed.
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    In my case, the noise vanished after the brake pads were replaced.
  4. HariKrish

HariKrish Timido

Bangalore
    Experts,

10 days back i upsized tyres from 165/80-R14 to 185/70-R14 on punto dynamic.

During the last weekend drive to (first long drive after changing the tyres) Wayanad (around 320 kms), i started getting some noise (squeaking) while braking.
    and i felt like the brake is less :(

1. Do i need to consider anything else than Alignment and Wheel balancing while upsizing the tyre. ?
    2. Or the issue with brake pad got aggravated with new set of tyre (upsize) ?
    3. Brake Pad needs a replacement ?

Model: Fiat Punto 2012 Dynamic
    Kms: 19,000
    Tyre: Yokohama A Drive
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    1. Not needed.

2. Not really. Maybe the pads were on the way out.

3. Get them checked at the dealer once. You're touching 20,000km's and can be worn out pads. Early yes, but we've heard some cases of early pad wear, depending on use. Get it confirmed firstly.

Cheers.
  6. shekar

shekar Timido

Hyderabad
    I felt this is the closest thread to my query so posting it here. Please let me know if you are already aware of any thread talking about this.

I have to change my break pads but when i got it checked with the FIAT service, they mentioned that its advisable to change the brake discs as well since there are some lines on. I learnt from some other forums that we can extend the life of the discs by grinding them. Can you please help me with the below queries:
    1. Is grinding the disc advisable and will it have the same effect with new pads.
    2. I felt the fiat break pads life was short. Though they were effective but it was really short compared to my earlier car. Do you have any other better break pads which would have a longer life without compromising on the bite. I do understand that the life is dependent on the driving style, conditions etc. Thats why my comparison is with my own driving style, under same conditions but different car.

Also for the above 2 queries, it would be great if you can let me know the contacts in Hyderabad (preferably near Hitec City) for good lathe workshop and also the dealer for good breaks.

Cheers!
  7. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Bangalore
    I was also in same dilemma, I asked them to replace only break pads as of now since my car is run 33.5k KMS. I am yet to collect my car today.

@ experts? was it ok on my part to just ask for pads and not discs? I heard from SA that noise might persist and breaks might not be that effective.

@shekar how many KMS your car done till now?
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I am no expert. It is fine to replace the pads alone if the discs have sufficient thickness. No need to always replace both. Minimal lines or scratches on the discs can be ignored. It comes back to normal after a little braking with the new pads. My discs had some major scratches when the tyres were near bald and lost their grip. After some aggressive braking, the lines disappeared. There was no issue in braking at all. This may not be a recommended practice. If you firmly believe that the discs have more life left, you can just continue with it.
  9. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Even I have been facing this issue in my TJet [Sept 2014 ownership] and got the brake pads cleaned/scrubbed. It went away for a little time but still comes when the car is about to come to a halt. I do not hear it when brakes are applied on high/moderate/slow speeding. It's more like a whistling sound from font brakes[discs] when it is about to come to a halt and going to the dealer again tomorrow to get it rectified. No other issue seen in braking and braking is as strong as it can be. I never got this issue in my 2 Santro's which also has front disc brakes. I hope it goes away.
  10. Samy Alamuri

Samy Alamuri Amatore

Bhimavaram, India
    Get the brake disks resurfaced
    I too had the same issue and got the brake disks resurfaced
    now everything is fine