1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brakes squeaking even after brake pad change , the noise never stopped

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by theblack, Apr 4, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi all,

when my car turned 13k old I started to hear squeaking noise from the brakes and got it checked to find out that the pads had run its course.(This was in Jun '11) , I managed to drive till 15K with those pads and finally got it replaced.
    Now I thought my issue was solved but almost immediately(few hrs after the change) i started hearing the same noise again.
    I was told that the pads need a bit of run in as the depressions on the rotor dont match that of the pads it will squeak for a while, once its completed about 300-500kms it should all be fine.
    Heeding to his advice i left the showroom.

Sept, '11 , I had completed 18k still the noise persisted.
    I took it to the showroom guys and they said the rotor should be changed along with pads always otherwise the unevenness between the rotor and the pads , though it sounded sensible i didnt buy it so asked him to clean the pads thoroughly , after a round of cleaning i took the car home an no noise.

Dec '11, completed 22k and still the noise exists, Took it to the showroom again and all he did was to clean it and give it back. worked for a few days but again the squeaking noise started to appear.

April '12, completed 27k and the damn noise still exists...
    I"m not sure what to do now. I'm quite positive rotors dont need to be replaced but the pads have never stopped squeaking at all.. what do i do?

PS:: This noise occurs upon gradual braking , i.e if i lightly depress the brake (no so much to make the car halt at once) i can hear that as the brakes kick into action this noise appears...
    If i jab the brakes in a bit harder the noise dissapears...
    This is really frustrating me now..
    "I've literally used the entire life of my brake pads with that horrible noise always beneath me"
  2. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    I'm facing the exact same situation with my TJet brakes. And have been hearing the squeaking right from Day 1. I was told that the brakes needed settling in for the first 2500 kms. So I compromised and waited. The noise carried on much later than that and currently, at 7800 kms, it still pretty much exists.

In my case also, it is audible only on gradual braking and disappears when the speed increases.

Concorde Worli confirmed the noise but returned the car after brake cleaning. The noise did go away for the first few hundred KMs but is now back.

Can brake pads be bad in a new car? Within 3 months?
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    First of all Tyres cant squeek.It might be brakes.The squeek that ur talking about is normal in all FIAT cars.Even im facing it.I've done everythin to rectify but gave up in the last.It squeekes when the brakes are cold.Ive also changed my rotors and brake pads in 4000kms under warranty.My car has completed 10k kms now.Squeeking has becoming less.Maybe its just about the wear and tear factor.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Do a google search on this issue. It's a very common issue with "modern" pads. Everyone from Toyota to Lexus to BMW has reported it.

One solution found was applying silicone lube on the back of the brake pads. It stops the brake pads from vibrating when braking. The vibration produces squeaks, if all else is okay.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. savinvas

savinvas Novizio

Bangalore, India, India
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I'm also facing this issue in my punto (clocked 14k+) .
    Eventhough it depends on the driving styles, what could be the approximate mileage of the brake disc ( rotor) ?

Regards
    savin

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Should that be the case then why for the first 15k I did not hear any such noise?
    And only after I changed the pads I'm hearing this?
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Like i said, if all else is well, the only variable that remains is the vibration of the pads.

But first the TASS people have got to verify that the braking system at the front is exactly in the proper working order as it should be. Sometimes little things escape notice.

Factory guys do know how to put a car together better than TASS ( In general, atleast).
  8. naveen

naveen Novizio

Hyderabad
    @theblack

Following are the possibilities of the squeaking sound

1 Check for grease. After changing your brake pads, it is important to put grease or a silicone substance between the pads and the calipers. The calipers press the brake pads down onto the rotors. Metal rubbing against metal will produce a squealing or scratching noise if the metal is not lubricated. To check for grease on the brake pads, you will need to jack up the car and then place jack stands underneath it and lower it down to rest on the jack stands. Loosen the lug nuts on the wheels using the tire iron, and remove the tire and inspect the pads.

2 Examine the rotor. To do this, you will also have to remove the tires. If the metal on the rotor is damaged or worn, it will cause noise when the brake pads contact it. The rotor may need to be shaved down so it is smooth. If it is extremely worn, it is best to purchase a new rotor. A mechanic will be able to determine if your current rotors should be replaced.

3 Determine what type of metal your brake pads are made of. Some smaller car models frequently have brakes that make noise simply because of the type of metal on the brake pads. Cars like these usually have semi-metallic brakes which are better at stopping the car, but can produce unwanted noise.

Source: How to Troubleshoot Why Brakes Squeal After Changing Pads | eHow.com
  9. Guys can some one help me the difference between ABS break pads NON ABS pads
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    there should be no difference, ABS is a technology used "how to apply brakes when wheels get locked" ,the final element:-Brake pads remains the same.
    experts can comment