1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brakes of Punto not so encouraging after brake pad change

Discussion in 'Technical' started by rohithhm, Sep 19, 2012.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It will be alright after the car runs a few KMs. (some 50kms)
    Wear and tear part. So not covered in warranty.

There is already another long thread on break pad design and replacement issues.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. thyagu2_2006

thyagu2_2006

Chennai
    A slight reduction in braking efficiency is normal after pad change. The new pad will take some time and hard braking to align properly with the disc. Some times this will take a longer time if the disc is worn unevenly. If the problem persist you have to face the disc by turning on a lathe machine.
  3. ganesh.g1982

ganesh.g1982 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Could you please help to understand what does it mean by "face the disc by turning on a lathe machine"
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Hard braking should be avoided on a new pad.
  5. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    After about 200kms..my break pad is working perfect now..

While driving back from Goa at night...with 5 ppl on board..it was just so efficient & re-assuring..mind you mine is not ABS...

Easily one of the best if not the best rakes in hatchback...
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Means removing the unevenness of the rotor by putting it on to a Lathe machine. Any competent mechanic can help you do this, but do check the rotor thickness before doing this.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  7. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    TASS can fleece the customer big time when it comes to consumables!! Always be cautious while getting such things changed i.e Engine Oil,Brake fluid,PS fluid,air filter,fuel filter,brake pads,oil filter etc.They will tell they have changed the brake pads, but they just polish or rub the brake pads with emery paper and install them back! Hence you might feel temporary punch or lack of tightness in braking.Always get these things changed in front of ur eye! Secondly is bleeding the whole hydraulic line just to ensure there are no air gaps in the line.And thirdly top up of the brake fluid.For your peace of mind you can go to a local mechanic and just ask him to check the brake pads.You will come to know whether they are new or old ones! Post pics :)

Edit :

Do not go for skimming the rotors.You will loose 25% braking efficiency.It's better to replace the old rotor with a new one,hardly costs anything.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    What happens is if the old brake pads are used more than it life it starts eating up brake discs and polishes it very fine. So the friction surface is diminished. It can be restored by again turning the brake discs, a very small cut will do.

Facing is a process done in machine shop either on a lathe or cnc machine to remove metal on the face of the disc. Mostly its done on lathe as one cannot invest keeping a holding fixture for every brake pads for a cnc machine.

On a lathe one can clamp any brake disc but the operator should be very skilled that he perfectly maintains the runout. Even a 20 micron runout will cause brake shuddering.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I think hard braking was mentioned rather than hand....
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Opps sorry my bad. Hard braking wont help. Instead slow braking will bead in the brake materials with disc :)