1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brakes of Punto not so encouraging after brake pad change

Discussion in 'Technical' started by rohithhm, Sep 19, 2012.

1. rohithhm

I have a Punto Diesel Active. It's been one year and I have driven it for 23k kms. After 20k I got the front brake pads changed. Since then I felt that the brakes are not upto the mark. I went back again to the service station and he did some tighting near the front wheels. The brakes seemed fine after that. After drving for around 1k kms since the tightning, I again feel the brakes are not upto the mark. Could anyone suggest what could be the problem?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
  2. Wonder if the technician had the brake system bleed-ed. Moreover the new pad might need a slight running in.!
  3. Even I had the same feeling for the first 500 KMS. Later the brakes felt better. As varun said, run in may be required.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

I don't believe this is a run-in issue. Get the brakes bled and brake fluid replaced. Are the replacement pads FGA? I somehow feel it might be poor quality after market ones.

5. anjith100in

anjith100in Timido

If the pedal feel spongy when applied, you should bleed. else i think it need to b run in.. because the contact area of the new pad and rotor is less as the pad wil b smooth and the rotor a bit uneven( with the last pad). Also i think all the parts changed at the dealer is under warranty for the first 1000 km or so( i am not exactly sure if its distance or time). so dont go beyond that limit checking if it will come back to normal..
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

^^ From the opening post, I gather that rohithhm has already done close to 3000 kms on the new pads. How much longer do you guys think it will take for run-in?

7. theblack

theblack Esperto

it is always safe to get the brakes bleed-ed after the pads are changed..
    Otherwise you will feel that they might not be as good as the originals..
    When i got mine changed i didn't get the bleeding done so there was a feeling of it being weak but after i drove for about 500-600kms everything became fine.
  8. bluepunter

bluepunter Amatore

I have got the pads & disks changed yesterday after 30K.... I too have experienced the weak feel...... hope it gets ok after a couple of more kms.....
  9. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Are the brake pads covered in the warranty?
  10. I think it may be related to quality of brake pads.
    By the way bleeding is only required is air is trapped in the system.
    Ill also be changing in my punto. Let me see what happens.
    I have got a linea and a punto. Both clocked around 24K Kms. But i feel braking is better in linea at the cost of more tyrewear.