1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brakes jammed after washing the car

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by RaviHegde, Jan 22, 2015.

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I had washed my car yesterday. Today morning when I switched to first gear and tried to move the car it did not move. For a moment I was worried because it looked like engine is going to stall, car did not move! Double checked hand brake. I had disengaged the hand brake. It moved only after I pushed throttle quite a bit in 1st gear. After that for quite some distance I could hear some kind of rubbing noise from the rotors when I applied brake. I could see the brake pad kind of rust mark on the rotors indicating there was some rust development between the pads and the rotor ending up in jammed brakes. It cleared up after 10-15 km drive - I believe breaking in that distance cleared up the mess on the rotors. I had noticed this kind of brake jam after car wash earlier also at some occasions; but never to this extent. Is it common? Have you also noticed it ever? Any tips to avoid this problem in future? Sorry for too many questions - asking so many questions just to be sure I am not doing something wrong ending up in this situation.
  2. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    I don't think it would be due to washing. When did you last get the service done and brake pads checked? Please get your brake setup checked.
  3. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Hearing slight screechy noise from the brakes after wash is quite common. But if it got jammed, the reason is something else.
  4. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    it seems brake pads needs to be replaced or cleaned, suggest you to check it up at FASS asap before embarking on a long ride.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    My bad ... out of this frustration I forgot to ask "Google Guru" :oops: Googling for the term "why brake gets jammed after car wash" turned up many such cases. For example see http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86123. Looks like pouring too much water on the wheels sends the water into some wrong places and causes this. I had poured lot of water on the alloys for cleaning them when I washed the car yesterday. After that applying the hand brake overnight makes the brakes stick because of rusting. I believe avoiding pouring lot of water like this OR avoiding hand brakes immediately after wash (until all water dries up) OR even taking the car out for a short drive after wash will fix the problem. Let me try these and see what happens.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    prabhjot, mangeshtendulkar and limraj like this.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I used to experience this effect the next morning after washing the earlier day. The brakes seem to be jammed but a slight nudge in the first gear used to make the car roll. Nowadays I move the car back and forth just once after washing and don't experience the jamming effect the next morning.

Do you use a lot of shampoo to clean the alloys? Maybe the soapy solution is causing more rusting around the brakes pads.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Yup, I did that when I cleaned alloys. Those alloys get so dirty so fast - they make the car look so yucky. So poured lot of shampoo water and scrubbed them using soft brush. It may not be only shampoo because I had poured lot of water after shampoo. I believe di-hidrogen-monoxide (H2O) is also prime suspect. Next time I will try your suggestion of moving the car little bit back and forth to get rid of the water. Or may be even go one round around the home and then park it. Hope that will ensure smooth ride next day!
    asimpleson likes this.
  8. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Folks,

As far as I know this is a know issue and known to be common in drum breaks. The water is know to create issues with the drum setup when pressure washed.

Also this is the same reason why cars on all four drums experience bad breaking abilities during monsoon.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
  9. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I had washed the car on 10th Feb. Did not apply hand brake. Still the brake was sticking. I think the front ones were stuck. Washed yesterday again. Went for a drive after the wash and parked the car. Did not apply hand brake. Brakes did not stick. Lesson learnt - a small drive is must after wash to avoid the brakes sticking.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Also: Use a wet wiper/sponge to clean your alloys, don't throw buckets of (precious, rare, municipal) water at the wheel!:p;)
    PradeepM likes this.