1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake shudder at 60 kmph + -Replaced brake pads

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by RollingIce, Feb 8, 2012.

1. RollingIce

RollingIce Amatore

Hi Folks, Recently I have started getting shudders on the brake pedal if I brake at high speeds above 60kmph. I had never tried braking before at such high speeds. When I brake I am not confident if the brakes would work and there is a pulsating feeling at the pedal and the whole car vibrates.

I took my car to Pandit automobiles at tilak road for inspection. The service centre guy said it happens with all cars due to ABS ;frankly I don't trust his words. He removed the front tires and inspected the brakes. He observed the pads had worn out [18000 kms];though he mentioned that was not the cause of the shudder while braking.He advised to put in new pads to prevent damage to the discs.

I got the pads replaced [Rs 2800/- for the front pad set and another Rs 600/- for the labour charges]. I argued about the high labour charges but it was in vain. Now I have two concerns :

1)Should I bothered while braking at high speeds
    2)The high labour charges.

MODS NOTE - Please punctuate the post in a better manner to enhance readability.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Have you tried braking at higher speeds ( on an isolated road, ideally) to check whether the shudder is still there post the brake-pads change or has disappeared.

Also, there is a difference between a brake shudder and the ABS kicking in. Can you distinguish between the two.
  3. teky

teky Esperto

Does warped rotors cause shudder. Also labour charge for replacing pads is 450 down south.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

shudder is also caused due to uneven break pad wear and also the sticking of brake dust onto the pads itself in lumps. i had the same problem. there was shuddering when i used to start braking at high speeds.

we removed all the brake pads and cleaned all the brake components. the shuddering immediately vanished. but very soon i will be changing the brake pads too. i keep observing them regularly and enough life is left in them. i brake only when needed.
  5. RollingIce

RollingIce Amatore

I got the pads replaced today morn. But i believe the shudder is still there. Its a feeling as if the brake pedals are loose and then I am not confident if the vehicle would actually stop.

Let me try on an isolated road once. Thanks Gurjinder.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

hey, Km done ???