1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nikhilsikka, Apr 20, 2012.

1. dhruv1974

dhruv1974

GOA
    Then why not try Brembo Brake pad for Punto/Linea as they are available now India.
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I changed my original pads with new one with rotors at 40000 km s and have done 72000 kms.The braking still efficient.I dont think Fiat pads doesn't last long .My verna pads started making noise after 20000 kms and Santro after 15000 kms.So why this hue and cry that Fiat pads just last 20000 -30000 kms.Even a luxury car brand would last the same.
    2 people like this.
  3. dhruv1974

dhruv1974

GOA
    Original Brembo brake pads for Punto Linea type I are available for Rs 2800. Fiat Linea Punto Type 1.jpg
  4. venka

venka BANNED

Very well said brother, People just think of MS where their brakes hardly stops when they apply break until unless they have ABS to stop it. as i have used zen this is my opinion.
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I got my brake pads changed after 73000 kms today for the second time .The first change was done at 40000 kms and they lasted me for good 33000 Kms with 90% city driving in Bombay Traffic.Actually I had visited the Monsoon Camp at Balaji Auto, Thane to get the front shockers changed(lasted me for 73000 kms)The SA showed me the pads that were almost finished and would have lasted not more than 500 kms.The brake pads cost Rs 2780 and Brake disc Rs.2240 and Rs 950 labour.They gave me 20% discount on the spares and Labour (on MRP minus VAT) so saved around Rs 900 odd on the cost of Pads+disc and same amount on shockers(2461*2=Rs 4922 +RS. 1200 labour).
    When I asked him why change disc, just grind them.He answered, its not success in Linea/Punto and many have come back complaining juddering at higher speed and its right my friend faced the similar situation with his Linea and in the end he had to change the disc. Grinding would cost around RS. 850 so didn't make sense to take risk just to save Rs. 1000 and same goes for after market pads as with more frequency of change the cost would come to same or infact more than OEM with labour every time, forget the time invested, fuel and hassles and moreover my experience with the OEM pads is good.
    So Total dent of Rs. 11110 to my pocket including Rs. 2150 discount.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys,

I have one doubt on the Break pads and intern breaking on Gp/Lineas. Many places on this forum i have read claims saying that Breaking on punto/Linea is way better than others. So i was just thinking on this the other night,

The basic underlying technology is same in all cars i.e A rubber based pad rubs agains a metal disc. I can assume/consider that the quality of the pads various from vendor to vendor, but how this can result in a greater breaking of this car compared to others?
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It's not rubber, but some asbestos kind of a compound, but softer than the ones used in most vehicles in the segment. This softness leads to early wear out of the pads, but better braking. Weight of the car and softness of the brake pad compound contributes to efficient braking and vehicle stability during braking. Brake pads with softer compound grips the disk better. That's my understanding.

Brake pad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    1 person likes this.
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Braking of cars in same segment will be +/- 2-5 meters of others.
    Disc, pad and drum size and their composition plays most important role. Brake bias, servo assistance and pedal travel too play some role(in fiats just a dab on brake and car starts shedding speed in other cars you have to press pedal much more for same braking effect, in verna pressing brake pedal like I press in linea just lights rear braking lights)

Also the feedback you get from pedal and steering gives driver more confidence. Panic brake in a Verna the car stops just fine but the steering remains as light as ever the pedal just dips to the floor showing no resistance, try the same in linea the steering gets even more heavy and pedal shows some resistance.
    Verna have as good brakes as Linea maybe better too who knows without testing in same condition but it doesn't have feel into it which Linea brakes have in them.
    Also the front of Fiats don't dip as quick as Verna under panic braking which is more comfortable for passengers and driver as it's progressive. The Verna front dips in instantly even when braking at 10 km/hr letting everyone know you are driving rashly/braking moderately hard.
    1 person likes this.
  9. venka

venka BANNED

New brake pad snaps , I changed them last week in service camp.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373958074.835981.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373958104.605220.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373958129.752115.jpg

Next time on wards i am planning to change the brake pad my self. Got to know how to change them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2 people like this.
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Well, i tried changing last weekend. I could not unscrew the Caliper bolts, they were too tight. Wonder which Superman tightened the bolts last time at the SC.

These are supposed to be tightened to spec with a torque wrench, these guys never use the right tools anyway.