1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nikhilsikka, Apr 20, 2012.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Was checking my 4th service bill from Aug 2012. The part number seems to be different from yours in the picture above. I was charged 330 for labor.
    Part no:0077362180
    Name: Brake pad set
    Price: 2427.95
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Yeah, yours is probably the older model of the brake pad. The newer model of brake pads are on Vehicles manufactured after mid 2011.
  3. charan

charan

Bangalore
    Guys! the brake pads sold by Fiat are the most effective ones for braking, I agree that they wear out quickly, It would last for about 20-25k kms(regular bangalore traffic and 25% highway) mainly depending on your driving style.

The reason why Fiat's wear out quickly is because they use 2 main compositions which are hard and soft unlike others who use the hard component on a higher ratio where the pads last longer but the effectiveness is reduced.

I would say extra 1500 bucks and peace of mind!
    2 people like this.
  4. Wear out quickly ? i have crossed 50 K Kms still on second set of pads ,first set was changed when ODO was reading 16K.
  5. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Mine..first change at 13 K...and already hearing grounding noise @21K...(which is life of 9K only)

How can I say brake pads are best??
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If your car is doing mostly highway run(30K Highway + 5K City) then 35K Kms is the best.
    if all in all within city 20K is more than enough.

i'm running on 2nd set of brake pads ODO is on 65K Kms.
    1 person likes this.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    1st change - 15k (To Galpher)
    2nd change - 28k (To Magnetti marelli)
    3rd change - still pending and I've already crossed 40K and there is juice enough left in it to go on for another 15-20K at least.

PS : On another note I'm constantly reading about guys changing pads quite early only in the first change. this is rather interesting because before the first change its mostly driven by the company folks to and from the yard and there are many cases of cars being driven for more than 200-300kms by the service guys.
    Is there a possibility that these wonderful drivers are abusing potential new cars such that once the owner actually buys it , the pads are relatively worn out already?
  8. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    @theblack..

Where do you get magnetti marelli brake pads and cost??
  9. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Bro i think Fiat are using a lesser life or quality brake pads for new cars to reduce the cost. And then on they provide a good quality one's at higher prices like in the case of laptops we buy. New laptops battery hardly last a year and a half then on solid for 3 yrs (DELL lappy's)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Bro i think then there should be some problem with your rotor's else the driving style needs a little change during city drives like instead of using brakes to slowdown the car you can slow them down by changing gears and going in lesser speeds.
  10. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well while reading through this thread, similar thoughts did echo in my mind. But I believe brand of the brake pads that come as OE fitment is same as the one which are available as OE spare. People who have changed the brake pads of their 2012 cars can confirm.