1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nikhilsikka, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    my last brake pads lasted upto 45k kms. i dont do city driving.its purely highway drive. 90% highway and 10% city drive
    1 person likes this.
  2. nareshov

nareshov

Bangalore
    any better aftermarket replacement pads one could use that might last longer? brembo or that "green stuff" pads our egyptian tfi-ian uses?
  3. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its time to replace the brake pads....mine has lasted for 29K kms.......I am planning to get TVS Girling...Local shop is selling it fro Rs. 1100...are they good....I think Fiat also uses TVS.....
  4. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    yes, its a piece of cake but what one needs to be careful about is that they dont open the bleed nipple and let out the brake oil.
    If that happens you should ensure to top up the fluid and also bleed the brakes.
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    correct.
    my mechanic opened the bonnet and loosened the brake fluid container's cap to release the brake oil pressure while changing the pads!
  8. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thats the right procedure. Also, one has to ensure that the same is recapped after the procedure. In my case, I din bother to check under the hood after brake pads were replaced at FASS; only to discover after a week the brake fluid container cap missing! Luckily it was lying under the hood itself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  9. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

I'm sorry but this process is hogwash. There is no such thing as removing the reservoir cap to release brake pressure.

@punto_emotion: Brake fluid is highly hygroscopic, i.e., it absorbs moisture very fast which makes the brakes less effective. Its better you get the whole brake fluid drained out and re-filled.

That is the correct procedure. You just need to open the bleed nipple for a moment and close it back. Any air in the system would have collected near the bleed nipple, releasing it for a moment will help get rid of the air. You can easily feel the brakes feeling less spongy.

When you release and quickly re-tighten, not more than 5ml or 10ml will be lost per wheel. No need of topping up.

PS: I've been bleeding the disc brakes on my bikes for more than 7 years; recently bleeding brakes on my car as well.
    3 people like this.
  10. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    just dropped the car off at AFSS.
    They were slightly hesitant. think i will be required to go there and fight it out. had done all servicing as per schedule.
    Moreover,
    following observed.
    1. leak from engine oil sump. need to be re-sealed
    2. brake pads worn out. replacing the same.
    3. wheel bearing front and rear, RH side needs replacement
    4. 02 glowplugs faulty
    5. replacement of the hydraulic shockers/ lifting levers of the boot. both gone bad. with leaks.

gonna cost a bomb if warranty doesnt cover most of it.. quoted 22k as estimate..:sad: