1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by nikhilsikka, Apr 20, 2012.

1. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    That thing is running in the back of my mind. I am thinking of replacing the old pads again and keep the new one as spare and i can do it in local garage too. But somebody in the earlier posts mentioned that the pads should be changed at 3 mm. Is that documented somewhere? if so then i think that my pad is almost 3-4 mm thick.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    from the pictures, i guess your old pads had more than one third of thickness left compared to the new ones. My guess is they could have easily lasted 10-12 k more assuming your driving style remains same!
  3. Nightfury

Nightfury Novizio

kolkata
    kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.3
    brake_pad_nm_punto_gemco.jpg
    Anybody used this ?? GEMCO New punto type ? how is the bite??
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Ganges had used it and he has warned us not to use these pads.
  5. Nightfury

Nightfury Novizio

kolkata
    kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Shoot... I have already ordered it and its on the way .
    all i found here was, ATE is not a good choice !!
  6. Nightfury

Nightfury Novizio

kolkata
    kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.3
    well my GEMCO arrived today :dance and got my pads replaced ..
    i didn't found it any worse than the stock one !! of course these are (Just) a bit hard being new .
    but they are grt.. when the factor is bite . Now the the question is how much will they last..:confused1
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Got one front wheel removed and checked the condition of pads at a puncture shop today morning. The outside part of pad had not more than 3-4 mm of thickness left.

15-16k has been the approximate number of kms that all my OEM brake pads have lasted so far. maybe due to my turbo-lag free driving style ;) which aids fast wearing.

Another reason is that until few months back I used to brake with full clutch depressed. Now I don't do that anymore. start braking and then depress the clutch only when car is about to start jerking. hopefully this time i will be able to extract better life from the pads.

will surely post a review once I use them for some time.
    2 people like this.
  8. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Even my brake pads never lasted more than 15k kms. Apart from the OEM, I had 3 sets of brake pads changed. I always use engine braking and depress clutch when the engine is about to stall/lug. IMO, my daily run in city traffic at peak hours, have a major contribution in the need for replacing my brake pads every 15k kms.
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    I had replaced 2 pads @ around 20 k interval. I am surprised to hear that some had changed the 1st pad at 40-45 k. Recently if you check the part number of brake pads, they are different from older ones. Some reliable source said that the new one is using a bit more harder compound & expected to last longer.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My first brake lasted just for 15K, but 2nd pair lasted for ~37K km.
    1 person likes this.