1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake pads - how do I know when to replace

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by RaviHegde, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    thanks, so I guess I can safely drive till 30k kms service.

I hear a sound when I release the brake and the car just moves, kinda humming noise, lasts a second or so. I've noticed it in few other puntos also. Any idea if its related to brakes ?
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    When I took my car for my 15K service@ Concorde in 2010, the SA told me that the pads need a change. I disregarded him and used the pads till 38,000 km without any problems.

Today I left my car at KHT for some work. Car is at 60K.The SA called me and told me to change the pads and the rotors as they'll last only 1500km more. When I asked him what the thickness was, he was fumbling and couldn't answer me properly.

I do check the pads visually regularly when I wash my car and when I give it for balancing ( the wheels are taken out and this gives a better view). The last time I checked my rotors they were smooth like glass.

So I'm going to disregard him again. I hope the FIAT ASCs get away from this unnecessary strategy of parts replacement .
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    PKMohan likes this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you don't find any issue, leave it. Normally pads last longer with normal usage.
  4. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I do a lot of highway driving - recently I did a Bangalore Kolkata 5000 km drive, so my pads do last long. And I'm not facing any problems either.

What disappoints me is the unnecessary advice I was given by the SA - as a result you stop trusting the ASCs.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    my second set of brake pads was replaced at 44000 km's ystday stock one was replaced at 22000 km's.

but what i could see only 2 of the brake pads has worn out completely but does that mean that all the 4 pads need to be replaced.