1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake pads - how do I know when to replace

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by RaviHegde, Jun 26, 2012.

1. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2

Yes these are my first set of break pads.

Wow, that a good news. Will do that on my every interval of 5K km of tyre alignment. :)

So I will say no to break pad replacement during 30k km servicing....
  2. KayGeeFIAT

KayGeeFIAT

Chennai
    I am getting a Grinding noise from Brakes- especially when applying at low speeds. I've done ~ 11 K + kms in my Linea.
    I'm definitely indendint to replace my Brake pads @ 15 K servicing, but a noobie Q? :confused:
    How do I check the thickness of my brake pads. i.e How to to get to the stage as shown in the pictures below to inspect the brake pads (Take to TASS not an acceptable answer as if I had had the time - I would get the pads replaced anyways!!!) :D
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ just need to remove the front tyre(s)!
  4. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    I was clearly told 2012 FIAT brekpods last for 15 k around if used in city...

Grinding noise indicates its wearing down..mine started around 10.5K and I replaced around 12.5K..may be with about 1K left in them..

Very bad we have to replace at 15K..TASS says its because our is heavy vehicle + these are soft pads...

But according to me 15K is too low..25K should be good

I have discussed with FIAT boss and he simply asks TASS to check n replace...he never said they will improve or never said this is expected...he will promptly ask TASS to call me n check..
  5. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In my case .its different... below 80 kmph Braking is just awesome.... But beyond 120 kmph i had Confronted couple of situations where i have to control vehicle using Gear..
    also i could notice slight vibration... Presuming it due to Un even worn out of front tyres.
    Is there any thing i have to check for ...?
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  6. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    Below are the pictures of brake pads taken at 27K and 31K kms for my Linea MJD. At 29K kms (during the thrid service), TASS SA scared me to death saying they won't last more than couple of hundred kms, but they ran out of stock and didn't change. But I was sure there is enough left in those pads and continued. Even after 2K additional (from 29 to 31K) kms, I don't see any significant wear.

By comparing these two sets of pictures, I am guessing these pads will last another 5-10K kms easily. Unforturnately I am not able to measure the thickness of these pads, but how do these compare with brand new OEM pads? are they worn by 50%, 75% in comparison with new? :confused:

Pads at 27K kms

2013-01-20 17.32.32.jpg

Pads at 31K kms (picture taken just after wash and pads are fully wet)

2013-04-14 12.56.04.jpg
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^with this much thickness left, they should be good for another 5k atleast!!
    are these your OEM/first set? If yes then they may last more than 5k easily
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  8. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

Bangalore
    Yes, they are OEM pads and its the first set
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Yeah you are right. It will easily last for 10- 15 K kms. That is a lot of thickness. Seems like you brake with a light foot.

Abdul
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    I went to Bosch service center in Brookfied for the tyre change, the service rep told me to replace the breakpads. But i could see that pads are having 2mm thick ness.
    Bosch Break Pads costing 3500/+ labour. I didnt find any difference while applying breaks and iam not hearing any sounds from the pads also. Is it fine to run my vehicle for another 2 to 3k kms ?