1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake pads - how do I know when to replace

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by RaviHegde, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Cochin
    Well, I agree to take no chance with the Brakes. But waiting till reduced braking efficiency is dangerous.

And normally it is vice versa: Squeaking starts first; after many days only you feel loss of braking efficiency, no?

After hearing the first 'crying', Brake will work perfectly for many days, if not months. (of course at the cost of drum, hence not advisable to wait).

So, if time permits, check Brakes periodically, or be very attentive to the first cry, change it immediately. (For me the later alone is possible, time...). In my 25 year driving exp. once or twice only I had to change drum, that too at the 5th year on my Esteem and 8th year on my Indica.

But best is checking periodically, I agree firmly.
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Actually I felt it the other way. I am not talking about total loss of braking. But when the pads are about to reach the end of its life, you wont feel that confident when you brake & I happened to feel this even before this squeaking starts. Maybe I am too attached to my car to feel this :). Yes the best way is to do a periodical checkup & maybe after the 1st pad replacement, you will also be able to judge for yourself how would the pads look like when it is worn out & how much more it would run. But please dont blindly trust all the mechanics. You can always go to a local workshop for a 2nd opinion.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  3. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    Dont wait for some stupid sound to appear. Check the thickness of your brake pad visually. If the thickness is less than 2-3 mm go ahead and change it.
  4. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

ENKI.. every one has different driving styles..
    i try not to brake hard.. if i see a vehicle / block/ signal way ahead. i i take my foot off the accelerator and brake gently on closing. if i'm doing speeds.. and when there's a block,then i shit to neutral and roll and brake as and when needed. i try not to do any sudden halts.
  5. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

Cochin
    Very correct.
    Life of Break pad very much depend on driving habit. If practice gentle braking, pad last much more.(Also you will be sensitive to even the first faint sound from Brake).
    Secret is foreseeing braking need and distance even at high-speed driving. In fact this is the MOST ESSENTIAL good habit of a GOOD driver. Use the engine to brake by its own, without even hitting Brake, except at such unforeseen emergencies. Impossible ? Possible by deliberate practice.

This habit improves many things: control on vehicle, less stress on vehicle body, less chance of frantic braking and possible error leading to accidents, chance of injury to other passengers (unlike driver, they don't expect such sudden braking, especially children. It is high time to make "Child safety seat" mandatory in Indian roads, on two and three wheelers.), more fuel efficiency....
  6. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Guys,

Just now checked my ride's Break pads. After 29K Kms.
    photo1.jpg

photo (2).jpg

Please let me know are they really need to be changed during 30K servicing which might be on next few days.
    Advise needed.
  7. Thomman, shifting to nutral for stopping a speeding car is not safe. It will allow wheels to rotate freely and let inertia to take control. Always in high speed; take foot from accelarator, shift down and apply breaks. This procedure will aid engine braking and reduce braking distance. After all, brake pads doesn't cost too much in front of safety! I follow the same and still I believe much left in my first brake pad at 19K.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    @rishike ,

ur wear pattern is quiet uniform , and even ur pads have some juice left , it should last atleast 5k more , but during ur 3rd service at 30k , tass will insist for pad change , you've to take a call.
    it seems u r highway driver...

atul
    1 person likes this.
  9. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    You are correct.... :)
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Are these your first set of pads?

Pads in my punto usually last 15-16k. With this much of thickness left, it lasted for 5k more.
    So if these are your first set of pads then:
    1. they might last another 10k!
    2. don't forget to check their condition again after 5k
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.