1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake pads - how do I know when to replace

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by RaviHegde, Jun 26, 2012.

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    When I went for last service SA told me my brake pads will last another 3000 kms max. I have done little more than 3000 kms after that already. Everything looks/feels/sounds ok so far. I don't want to wait too long and end up with damaged brake disk. Now my question is - should I go to TASS to find out whether it is time to replace the brake pads or is there some way I can figure out myself? I read in some discussion forums that brake pads have a wear indicator to make it sqeal when the pads wear out. Do Punto brake pads have that kind of wear indicator or some other kind of wear indicator?
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. Tellmepleaze

Tellmepleaze Amatore

How many Kms?
    At about 25000 kms, my Linea started 'crying'. I realised it is break-pad, taken to change it.
    But you can wait till squeaking sounds heard when breaking, especially when you out with car in morning.
    But do not wait any long time, or the drum may wear out by protruding nails/ metal part on the break-shoe.

Remember, they charge you, Breaks are not covered.

Hope it helps...:)
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thanks Tellmepleaze, it definitely helped. I am on 17,500 kms now. Though SA told me brake pads will last for another 3000 kms when I was at 14000, I think it will last few more thousands because I have not heard any sqealing sound or any other signs of brake pads giving up yet. I will be careful and change the brake pads well in time to avoid expensive repair :)
  4. Mine was replaced when it has 3.5mm padding stuff left
  5. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Guys please help me here... I have done 22k 20090101_002.jpg 20090101_003.jpg 20090101_004.jpg
    from the pictures u can see a line on my right brake disk.. and definitely not caused due to pad ware off.. as there is life left in my pads..

what could be wrong.. guess its some debris.. i used pressurised water pumps to clean it other day.. apart from that what else should i be doing..!?!??
    no problem on the left side...
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. shams

shams Esperto

if you check other cars at TASS, most of them have some scoring marks on the disk. it could be due to various reasons one of them being something getting in between the disc and pads. I would suggest take it to TASS, they would probably take it out ,clean it and put it back! you should not be charged for this
  7. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Thanks buddy...
  8. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

man,do u brake at all?there is so much of pad still on shoes after 22000 kms.
    i am attaching pic when i got replaced at 15000 kms.its 21210 now and next pad change is due after 2000-3000 kms.
    may be it gives an idea what kinda speeds n braking my 90 hp goes in routine.
    it brings itself at a dead halt from 175-180 at least 10 times a day. i m not counting braking at lesser speeds.i m sorry but it happens like this here:cool.
    ur pads r good to go for another 15000 kms if not more.
    if u can post the pic of other tyre as well,i can confirm better on this.
    Photo793.jpg Photo792.jpg Photo794.jpg Photo795.jpg Photo797.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

I dont think that is a safe practice. When it starts squeaking, it means the metal of brake pad has started rubbing on the disk. This will surely have impact on the surface of the disk. In such cases, before moving ahead with pad replacement, the disk needs to be taken to a lathe for polishing the surface. Else the new pads will worn out fast. You wont actually be taking your car to TASS as soon as you hear squeaking & if the squeaking has started earlier & you have not noticed it, then it would be much worse. Best way is when you feel that the braking efficiency has started deteriorating , take it to TASS & get it replaced if necessary.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

+1 Cinju. One has to imagine how a metal rubbing metal would sound & this screeching/squeaking is the best match.
    I heard that screeching just before my first service so got it replaced at 15000 KMs. It will still screech when 1.5-2 mm pad is left so that could be good indication for pads change. Nothing like inspecting it with your own eyes.

If there won't be any pads left at all, it won't screech, it will scream & rotors are gone:mrgreen:
    1 person likes this.