1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake Oil Low but no warning lights

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by VikramRajput, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Hello People,

I happened to stop by for Refueling at a petrol pump and while refueling the Gas Station guy asked me to open the bonnet for a fluid checkup. He looked around and said that Brake Oil Tank is empty and needs topup.

I verified the same and it is indeed empty yet there is no warning light of any sort ON nor any degradation in braking performance of the car.

I did not do the topup from him and am planning to visit the TASS for a proper fluid levels check and topup.

What intrigues me though is how can the tank be empty yet there is no indication nor warning?

One more query: While topping up the Wiper tank, should be pour water every time or is the additive mentioned in the owner's manual to be added as prescribed? and if so, where do we buy it? Is it available everywhere or do we have to buy it from the TASS?

Looking forward to your inputs. Thanks in advance.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Typically, when brake fluid level is below the minimum, you get a warning message on the MID, especially when taking curves at speed ("Insufficient brake fluid, do not proceed"). If it doesnt, there is something wrong with the sensor there. Top it up ASAP because it is common for both brake and clutch.

For the wiper tank, you can just fill water and add couple of drops of mild shampoo. Or just water alone.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Are you sure you checked the correct container? And if brake fluid is empty, you must visit ASAP, without driving anymore.

Put any liquid or shampoo with clear normal or distilled water.
  4. Yeah, thats what i suspect. Maybe that sensor has failed.

Is there no diagnostic check for the Sensors in the car which the TASS can undertake? or maybe calibrate them if their threshold ranges are correct..

I am not driving it any more, Ravi.. Thank you for the concern. The only trip now will be to the TASS. Need the vehicle ship-shape for the Fiat Factory meet. :D
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. I feel so stupid writing this.. but for the sake of knowledge, i should!

After weeks of deliberation and trying to find time to take the car to the service centre, i finally decided that i needed to have it topped up before my trip to Fiat Factory last friday. TASS, Nerul was not giving me an appointment since they say they are shifting the Service centres someplace. so, i decided that i will find a DOT4 fluid at wherever i can find it and topup as an interim measure.

That morning, i dont know why i had the urge to look into the Brake Oil tank once. i opened the tank and LO! it was full up to the brim!!! The oil level was in fact way above the max level and couldnt be seen beacuse of the Yellow Cap.

Lesson learnt: DONT TRUST ANY TOM, DICK AND HARRY ADVISING YOU ON YOUR VEHICLE, USE YOUR OWN BRAINS OR TAKE ADVICE FROM AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL AND THEN USE YOUR OWN BRAINS!!! :)
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  6. You shouldn't be driving car with eninge oil more than the specified limit as well. You will be harming the oil seals in the engine. You should be checking the engine oil level with dip stick and not from the engine oil filling cap.

My TASC over filled engine oil during past two services. I had to drain around 1/4 L of oil to keep it in correct level. Check the oil level properly and visit TASC (or near by mechanic) if required.
  7. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Have you checked your car for any leaks?? Check the brake fluid pipe.There have been rat chewing cases,where even a deep teeth mark is enough for leaks!! How much has your car run?? Top up at TASS and do keep an eye on the level.If there is a rapid decrease in level then get it checked for leaks.Tell TASS to also check the whole hydraulic brake fluid line.