1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake noise issue with 2012 GP-whats the culprit?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sidindica, Apr 26, 2013.

1. SarKV

SarKV Novizio

Bangalore
    I didn't face any steering wobble while bracking, only grinding noise from brake while releasing / applying the brake in slow moving traffic.
  2. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Steering wobble issue is caused due to alignment loss and brakes have nothing do with it, please have your alignment checked..

@SarKV purchased in Sep2012 and done only 290kms or is it 2900kms?, anyways under any situation car is still low on kms covered, please try escalating it to the Senior Manager (not CRM)
  3. govindankvs

govindankvs Novizio

US
    US
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Have done just over 400kms with my Punto(with ABS) 2013 model. Have not found the grinding noise with breaks. I had the grinding noise with my Figo(No ABS) while applying/ releasing in speeds <10km/hr, especially while going down the apartment basement with foot off/on the breaks. So tested that with my Punto on the first day.
  4. KayGeeFIAT

KayGeeFIAT

Chennai
    2012 Fiat Linea - 15,000 KM - I had started getting grinding noises from brake when braking at low speeds <20 kmph. Guessed it was the disk brake pad wear out. Checked the front disk. Found concentric grooves in both frond brake disk rotors. And of course pads were worn. Got the pads and changed during the 15K 2nd free service and the grinding noise has of course disappeared!

BTW - Any idea if the Disks of front disk brakes are covered under warranty? Warranty mentions consumables such as brake PADS etc not covered but does not specifically exclude disk rotors. I remember seeing in the forum somewhere that someone got the warranty claim for front disk rotors- only pads were to be paid for. any help on this- cos RDC Fiat was insisting that disks are not covered under warranty.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    2011 model here- no noises/squeaks ever. Pads squeak when they are on the point of wearing out or when they vibrate - which we percieve as a squeak. This type of squeak is pretty common worldwide in almost.all manufacturers. BMW even put out a special silicon based paste to be applied on the reverse side of pads to eliminate vibes and thereby squeaks.

As for there being a fundamental issue with FIATs - not a chance. Best brakes in C,D segment easily. Only grouse is that they don't last as much as i would like them to. But i reckon there is no sucj thing as a free lunch.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.