1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Brake noise issue with 2012 GP-whats the culprit?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sidindica, Apr 26, 2013.

1. sidindica

There have been many threads related to the contoversial brake related issues which are scattered here. Now, my GP has 2 problems:

1) sometimes in the morning, or often in dry weather, whenever brakes are applied, they make a squealing noise.
    2) Recently, the brakes have made grinding noise at low speeds, like that of a typical ABS pedal juddering sound.

My car has ABS brakes, and I have got the brake pads cleaned many times in the past 4k kms (FOC) and the car has done 11600 odd kms till date.

Whats the root cause?

-Brake pad wear?
    -Design flaw still persisting in the OEM brake pad?
    -Rear drums and shoes?

Any solution to eliminate this problem once and for all? I will be going to oberai sector 63 Noida to show them. They should get the pads replaced in warranty if the issue persists.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA

I am assuming most of the 2012 Punto's have this problem including mine....

1. The squealing sound that you are talking about is the brake lining sound which is caused by the OEM brake pads, not a major concern but yet a concern
    2. The grinding noise is the most serious issue we have at hand and is a real concern- I have had this issue addressed with 2 TASS and yet no resolution, they clean the brake pads and snap it back on and the noise disappears temporarily and is back the following day... I am assuming this is caused by the brake dust accumulating near the pads and the pads are experiencing excessive friction due to this... The concern is if no resolution is found we would need to replace our rotors soon enough, dont want a damaged disc

Root of cause - not the brake pads, rear drums and shoe are not be considered since all the sound and problem is with the front two brakes... may be design flaw but cant comment...

My brake pads still have 75% life left in them and my ODO stands at 16k+ and I am yet to decide if I need a brake pad replacement (preferably a Bosch). Let us know what dynamic auto has to say, pad replaced under warranty? I doubt that would happen (warranty does not cover wear and tear parts of a car)
  3. vaibhavc

vaibhavc Amatore

Even i am facing similar issue in my 2012 Linea. Odo reading is 9.5K+. Are other Linea members facing similar issue?
  4. Even I am facing the same issue. When I got the service center,they clean and sounds goes for some days. Technician told this happens due to dust accumulating when the car kept idle for some days.
  5. SarKV

SarKV Novizio

My Linea-2012, have the same problem. ODO is 290+Km, it from day one and SA says no issue. Mostly i'm observing when i start moving slowly from standstill (while releasing the brake after the clutch lock) and while applying break in slow moving traffic. It is really annoying, Guy's let me know will it crate any problem, which pop's up suddenly and what is the solution to this?
  6. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Guys with 2011 and 2013 models are you facing the same issue with the brakes?

If it is a problem with the 2012 models only then we could try pushing this issue/complaint further so that Fiat could notice this, I am not sure how big a impact this would make but worth a try... however need to get a clear confirmation from everyone..

@SarKV a brake issue from day one is unacceptable... period.. Have you addressed this with the FASS? When did you purchase the car?
  7. I think this an issue with disk brakes in general even my wagon R had the same issue, I guess some kind of rust formed on rotor makes this noise until it is wiped off by pads due to friction.
  8. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Mine is also a 2012 Punto but God forbid, haven't faced any noise or issues with brake pads so far. Have done @13.5k kms till date. Should check the brake pads condition during 15k service.
  9. SarKV

SarKV Novizio

Roadking, Yes i addressed it to KHT, They said nothing to worry and it is just due to rust in break pad. So left with it there and living with it. I purchased the car on 30th Sep-2012, let me check with the KHT again and see the possibility.
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Do you guys face any additional issue like steering wobble while braking from good speeds?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2