1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Booked : Linea GC Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by kvk, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Loki

Loki

Brillianto! Cant wait for your pics/ review. Are you testing the car while fully loaded (5 adults) ??
  2. Waiting eagerly for a detailed report!!
  3. kvk

kvk Amatore

Bangalore
    Here is the story on the Linea upgrade for the ground clearance

Episode 1

2nd week of Feb I saw the update on the fiat page on Facebook

On17th I transferred 3000 as booking amount for the upgrade kit. As usual the spares arrival date was not known. During the 3rd week called up the service center to confirm the receipt of the advance.

The order was placed but not sure how long it would take to receive the spares.

2nd week of March there was no status on the availability of the spares. Shot couple of emails to fiat folks and got the confirmation that the invoice was raised on the 7th. Glad to know that finally the invoice was done and the spares would arrive before the end of March.

On the 12th March shot one more email to the spares manager telling him that if the spares don't arrive by the 13th, they will have to fix the kit free of cost and I would pay only for the spares.. In couple of hours I get a reply saying that the spares have arrived.

hurray.. now the confirmation has come, I am searching for the service center number to fix an appointment and suddenly I get a call from the service center enquiring when I can bring my car for the 45K regular service.. I inform the lady that the 45K service will have to wait but do book a slot on the 14th to fit the upgrade kit. The lady immediately blocked the date and confirmed the same over the phone.

I am now eagerly waiting when the 14th will come. As 15th was daughter's b'day there was quite bit of shopping to do. I finished most of the shopping by 13th so that I can keep the 14th free for the kit upgrade. All set and done on the 14th I drop my kid to school and head to the service center. I take the road via the bangalore university which is in pretty bad state as everyone might know. As I was driving through those roads, I said to myself... Man today will be the last day where you will be scraping the car on this stretch... It takes me 20 mins to reach the service center. I get greeted by the security guard and get a pink slip(appointment sheet) which I show it to the reception. In 10 mins time I see Somu and Gopal walking towards me. They were eagerly waiting for me to bring the car to fix the kit. They have recieved 2 kits so far and it was confirmed that one was mine ..

The SA(Gopal) explains me that the kit has arrived and they can start the work once the advance payment confirmation is received from the head office.(remember I made the booking by paying online). The supervisor(Somu) talks to couple of folks and said it can he handled during the final settlement. I told Somu that I want to take the pics of the WIP, but he denied saying they had an issue earlier and have stopped folks taking pics inside the workshop. hmmm.. ok np, I have already taken some pics at home. Lets see how it can be compared after the upgrade is done..

Somu spoke about the charges. It would cost me 11k for the spares and around 1400 for the labor which might include the wheel alignment(around Rs 300). He also confirmed that the wheel alignment readings will change hereafter and I will need to tell specifially that they have to do the alignment which is prescribed for the 2012 Linea models. hmm.. need to remember this whenever I go for alignment.. Agreed to the expense and allow them to start working on the car as I casually check the accessories section for the Door Sill Plates. No one available at the accessories desk, I go back and relax in the customer lounge and read up couple of automobile magazines

some pics
    Before
    before1 (Small).jpg
    before2 (Small).jpg

After
    after1 (Small).jpg
    after2 (Small).jpg
    This is the end of Episode 1
    3 people like this.
  4. prihir

prihir Amatore

Jamnagar
    Please share you riding performance.

BR.
  5. kvk

kvk Amatore

Bangalore
    Will post my driving experience too. Its currently in draft mode

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
  6. kvk

kvk Amatore

Bangalore
    Here is the 2nd and finally episode of the GC upgrade kit..

As I was waiting at the lounge, I atleast finished browsing the auto magazines couple of times. Time was moving so slow that day. I tried to kill the time by checking out the display cars at the showroom. Remember the service center is behind the concorde showroom within the same compound. Starting checking out the fiat cars and the Aria. Aria looks awesome, but I think the price tag is little more than expected. I was patiently kill half an hour's time and then went back to the lounge. I could see that the guys were still working on the fitting. Finally around 3:30 PM the service advisor calls on my mobile and said "Sir, are you ready for a test drive".... I jump out of the sofa and get into the workshop.. First looks.. hmmm.. seems not much difference visually. Fiats had claimed 185mm after upgrade and here it looks like its probably 170 or 175mm.. Anyways lets check this out.

I hop onto the car in the passenger seat and the SA drives to a nearby test track that they found for testing the vibrations and squeaking noises. At first after getting into the car, I felt something is different, the view was little bit different.. then I realized that I was sitting in the front passenger seat and that doesn't come with seat height adjusters.. hmm. ok np.. lets see how performs.. I give the nod to go ahead and test however he(SA) feels.. The moment we left the exit gate, I realized that some is really good, 'cos the exit gate is very slanting when it joins the main road. I know for a sure that the car bottoms out if you are not careful. The SA cooly drives out of the exit gate without any isses and replies smiling.. "Don't worry sir, nothing will happen"

We ran around the track couple of times to make sure we dont get any noise from the dampers/suspension and start driving towards kengeri.. If people who have driven on the mysore road, there is a big hump just before the kengeri busstand. That hump is pretty huge and cars like linea have to take the hump very carefully. We reached the hump and were pretty much around 20 KMPH and we just glided over the hump.. no noise or just plain engine sound can be heard in the car.. Wow.. what a relief. I was very happy with the current setup..

Now the turn was mine to test it.. As usual when I was very consiously driving over the humps(had become a habit 'cos the 2 yrs ownership) and after the hump I was cruising at 110 and didn't find any change in the driving style.. After few metres, I had to slow down since there are interceptors on that stretch.. I reach the same hump near the kengeri bus stand.. This was the litmus test for the setup. I slowed down and was doing around 20 KMPH and the the car went passed the hump without any issues. Sooper this is what I need in bangalore.. Got a lot of confidence that I can handle banglore's car breakers. sorry speed breakers without any issues and also with full load in the car... I take a U turn and return to the service center and give a go ahead to start the billing process.

It was around 4:30 by the time the entire process was done and I was handed over the gatepass.. After gettting out of the service center I reached the signal which take a left towards the bangalore university and the straight goes towards the goplan mall.. I decided to take the bangalore university road to test the setup. Now a days the bangalore universty roads are like hell. On one side they are relaying the roads and the other side is in pathetic condition. I said to myself "dude, the test track is ready, lets see what the car can do".. I deliberately tried to go over the speed breakers at higher speeds than I usually used to do. Not in one place did I hear the underbody scrapping sound.. I reached home at 5, parked the car and started taking the pics.

Wife comes out with a cup of coffee and said.. hmm.. "Has your 1st wife's shopping done?".. I am like.. Madam.. if this wife is happy on the road, we can reach our destinations without any issue.. and now you can put as much luggage as you want in the boot and you will not see my face cripple when going over speed breakers..

All in all, a peaceful mind for 12000/- seems very very reasonable for me.

Attaching the bill copy

IMG_20120328_123802.jpg
    3 people like this.
  7. kvk

kvk Amatore

Bangalore
    Here is the 2nd and finally episode of the GC upgrade kit..

As I was waiting at the lounge, I atleast finished browsing the auto magazines couple of times. Time was moving so slow that day. I tried to kill the time by checking out the display cars at the showroom. Remember the service center is behind the concorde showroom within the same compound. Starting checking out the fiat cars and the Aria. Aria looks awesome, but I think the price tag is little more than expected. I was patiently kill half an hour's time and then went back to the lounge. I could see that the guys were still working on the fitting. Finally around 3:30 PM the service advisor calls on my mobile and said "Sir, are you ready for a test drive".... I jump out of the sofa and get into the workshop.. First looks.. hmmm.. seems not much difference visually. Fiats had claimed 185mm after upgrade and here it looks like its probably 170 or 175mm.. Anyways lets check this out.

I hop onto the car in the passenger seat and the SA drives to a nearby test track that they found for testing the vibrations and squeaking noises. At first after getting into the car, I felt something is different, the view was little bit different.. then I realized that I was sitting in the front passenger seat and that doesn't come with seat height adjusters.. hmm. ok np.. lets see how performs.. I give the nod to go ahead and test however he(SA) feels.. The moment we left the exit gate, I realized that some is really good, 'cos the exit gate is very slanting when it joins the main road. I know for a sure that the car bottoms out if you are not careful. The SA cooly drives out of the exit gate without any isses and replies smiling.. "Don't worry sir, nothing will happen"

We ran around the track couple of times to make sure we dont get any noise from the dampers/suspension and start driving towards kengeri.. If people who have driven on the mysore road, there is a big hump just before the kengeri busstand. That hump is pretty huge and cars like linea have to take the hump very carefully. We reached the hump and were pretty much around 20 KMPH and we just glided over the hump.. no noise or just plain engine sound can be heard in the car.. Wow.. what a relief. I was very happy with the current setup..

Now the turn was mine to test it.. As usual when I was very consiously driving over the humps(had become a habit 'cos the 2 yrs ownership) and after the hump I was cruising at 110 and didn't find any change in the driving style.. After few metres, I had to slow down since there are interceptors on that stretch.. I reach the same hump near the kengeri bus stand.. This was the litmus test for the setup. I slowed down and was doing around 20 KMPH and the the car went passed the hump without any issues. Sooper this is what I need in bangalore.. Got a lot of confidence that I can handle banglore's car breakers. sorry speed breakers without any issues and also with full load in the car... I take a U turn and return to the service center and give a go ahead to start the billing process.

It was around 4:30 by the time the entire process was done and I was handed over the gatepass.. After gettting out of the service center I reached the signal which take a left towards the bangalore university and the straight goes towards the goplan mall.. I decided to take the bangalore university road to test the setup. Now a days the bangalore universty roads are like hell. On one side they are relaying the roads and the other side is in pathetic condition. I said to myself "dude, the test track is ready, lets see what the car can do".. I deliberately tried to go over the speed breakers at higher speeds than I usually used to do. Not in one place did I hear the underbody scrapping sound.. I reached home at 5, parked the car and started taking the pics.

Wife comes out with a cup of coffee and said.. hmm.. "Has your 1st wife's shopping done?".. I am like.. Madam.. if this wife is happy on the road, we can reach our destinations without any issue.. and now you can put as much luggage as you want in the boot and you will not see my face cripple when going over speed breakers..

All in all, a peaceful mind for 12000/- seems very very reasonable for me.

Attaching the bill copy

View attachment 20592
    2 people like this.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Congrats kvk. Where are the after GC upgrade pictures?
  9. kvk

kvk Amatore

Bangalore
    couple of them were only taken after the upgrade. The service center did not allow me to take the pics while the work was going on..

If you are asking for pics just the static ones after the upgrade, I haven't found the right time and right place to take the pics..
  10. arjunr

arjunr Amatore

Bangalore
    Is it also available for the fiat punto ?