1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bonnet dent due to large pear shaped fruit

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by bsrej, Jan 25, 2016.

1. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi Folks,

I don't know whether this happened to anyone before :depressed:. It was quite embarrassing. I was driving through Chennai city last week while this happened. I was travelling through Sardar patel road from Adyar towards Saidapet and took the right turn after Raj Bhavan and Lemon Tree hotel. There are lot of trees on this stretch.

Suddenly an elongated pear shaped fruit (???, i don't know whether we can call it a fruit :wtf:) fell on my bonnet from a road side tree. It bounced on the bonnet and fell off the car. It was around 1 - 1.5 feet long and should be weighing around 2 KG. I stopped the car immediately to check the damage and could find that there are two considerable dents on the bonnet :banghead:.

It was so disheartening to see my car in that shape :grumpy: and that too, by nobody's fault !!! I decided to go to service center to check on the options. Went to Ramkay FIAT in the afternoon and had a discussion with the body shop team there. They gave me two options

1. They can fix the dent and repaint the bonnet at a cost of Rs.8000/-
    2. Replace the bonnet with a price tag of Rs.13000/-

I am considering to claim my insurance for the same as I didn't make any claim till now. Further it doesn't look good on the car, so I want to do it at the earliest.

What is your take on this ? Wish to hear from the experts of the forum :happy:
  2. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Heard of paintless dent removal? Google Trends Automobiles Hosur rd and read more on it

Cheers!
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @bsrej
    Are you sure it was a pear and not a jackfruit?

Jokes apart but I think you should not over react. Firstly put some pics on the forum so that experts can provide correct advice. Secondly confirm whether there are scratches on the bonnet or paint has come off exposing the metal? If not and if its just a dent, I feel visiting a local garage nearby should solve the dent issue. Unless you are too FASS centric, you should be able to get it done from outside for less than 1K IMO.
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  4. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Is there any specific link where i can read about the same ?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 26, 2016 ---
    It was not a pear :), it was a large pear shaped brown colored thing, very close to the size of a small jack fruit !!!

I will post a few pictures of the dent today. I am not too much FASS centric and would love to settle it for a lesser price if possible.

I could see a small crack in the paint, exposing a white colored surface. Don't think it is the metal.....
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  5. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Pls find the pics. IMG_20160126_154945.jpg IMG_20160126_154957.jpg IMG_20160126_154957.jpg IMG_20160126_155026.jpg
  6. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    @bsrej: Exactly similar case happened in my housing society with a Hyundai Eon. There is a old coconut tree in my society and this car was parked exactly below that tree (Parking space is a big problem in townside Mumbai). One big coconut fell right at the center of the roof bending it nearly half a foot inside (The dent was even bigger than what you have got on your car, the biggest difference being Fiat and Hyundai :) ). The owner was asking compensation from the society (Lol) which the society bluntly refused. I guess, he got it corrected from a nearby garage.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Thank god the owner didn't file a case against the coconut or the tree.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: