1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Body Control Module BCM: Causes for failure

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by shashanknathani, Feb 15, 2013.

1. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Hi Friends,

My car is presently at Pandit Auto, Pune with failed BCM.

It all happened suddenly, i never encountered any electrical issues except for few fuesd bulbs in the past but one day my vehicle failed to start. It was starting but on accelarating it used to turn off and few minutes later the vehicle was not even starting.

Now i am looking out for the causes of BCM failure.

I created this thread with following intentions:
    1. Causes of BCM Failure
    2. Precautions to be taken
    3. How to understand that BCM is not behaving properly
    4. Will the vehicle be back in shape perfectly after the BCM replacement.

I hope what all we discuss here will benefit others. This is really a very important component given its chances of failure in FIAT cars and the cost. It is very expensive if you have to get it changed without any warranty.
  2. shashanknathani

Pune
    I received the first update from Pandit Auto

The extended warranty people rejected the claim. The part costs 21k. Labour charges around 5k.

I was already in touch with Mr. Mangesh from Fiat. Mangesh was consistently following up the issue update from Service officer at Pandit Auto.

Finally comes the second update.

Mangesh called them and updated that Fiat will change the part as goodwill gesture and labour to be borne by me.

I will update you all with the functioning of BCM. The role it plays in our car and its real importance. Precautions that needs to be taken.

I am eagerly waiting for my car as it is already 11 days. Expecting it to be ready for delivery in next 5 days.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    3 people like this.
  3. FIAT does it again,Hail FIAT.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    How old is ur car?

Even my punto's BCM was changed last november but under warranty. My punto will be 3 yr old by april

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  5. shashanknathani

Pune
    My car is 3 yrs and 3 months

6. shashanknathani

Pune
    Update: Third week and still no news on part availability. Car is still at Pandit Auto and no loaner vehocle provided till date.

I am seriously enjoying fiat ownership now. Walking about 4kms daily, commuting in autos. Great Fiat.

7. shashanknathani

Pune
    Update: My car was delivered after four weeks then and BCM was replaced as a gesture back then. Now There BCM has issues again.

The technician said that it is getting some earthing form a wire which is resulting in AC Compressor starting on engine start-up. The compressor remains on always and very soon reaches the -degrees resulting in ICE formation.

Car is back to Pandit Auto..... Should i get rid of the AC and drive the car as a FIAT Punto non-AC...
  8. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    What the hell is this BCM?
    Where is it located in Punto?
    How to know that BCM is not working? Does car sways right to left or otherwise while moving?

BCM has rendered me a layman about car technology.
    My 1.3 has not yet given me any hint in this area and has done 17800 kms.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The BCM or Body Control Module is located behind the Fuse Box. It is a computer, one of many on the CAN bus in our cars. Unlike what you seem to think, the BCM does not actually control the body, but is responsible for the functions of the body components in the car, like turn on the headlights, open the windows, control the central door locking, etc.

Scanning the car with Multiecuscan is the only way to identify if there are issues with the BCM.

Rajan
  10. shashanknathani

Pune
    Update from Pandit Auto... this time BCM is fine. My car's ECU has gone kaput.

If this is the life of critcal parts: BCM and ECU gone in 60k then fiat will have tough time in india in future.