1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Blue&Me SMS Reader with Android OS

Discussion in 'Blue and Me' started by rahulmr, Dec 22, 2011.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Boss,

The telephone directory provides name, door number, address, pincode. How can truecaller giving out just the name be any more harmful? What and who are we trying to hide from?

Rajan
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Oops! Lots of replies overnight.

few days back I called up my Surgeon friend. The first thing he asked me was why truecaller is showing my name as Yashik Bansal paddle shifter. :p

My comment was based on yet another aspect. Even if Google creates a calculator app for android, I am sure the permissions pop up will ask for permissions such as "read your contacts, read your SMS, read personal information, read call logs etc" :p

I have set up various instant personalization settings etc off in facebook privacy settings. Around a week back I clicked on a link to the lenskart website. They had an option of signing in via FB and my name, date of birth and a few more info was already filled up in the form.

Thats why I had made that comment since there are numerous articles about Google's data collection policy. Microsoft is highlighting on their Hotmail page that unlike Google, they won't scan the emails you send.
    1 person likes this.
  3. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    When so much has been discussed on truecaller, let me add my OT view too. Truecaller reveals only the name and nothing more, you cannot even trace that person based on that. From the mobile number anybody can get the information like which service provider you are using and from which circle you took the number etc but that wont help or cause discomfort to you as nobody can trace you, if that is what you are afraid of sai-aditya. See i dont have your number but i have got your name now;)

Have you ever got annoying calls? imagine if the person calls you next time and you refer him by his name would you think he will dare to call you again? That's my personal experience and i am stopping my OT here.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Firstly, am not "afraid" of anything. It is just my personal choice. If you guys think otherwise, feel free to disagree and move on. No point debating to death on this topic. :)

And BTW, TrueCaller does not give your name per se. It just shows whatever name under which I have stored, or whoever has stored, whose entry is considered as the match by TrueCaller. If I had stored your name as 'ABC' and if TrueCaller decides to take the match from my phone, it would just display 'ABC' to whomsoever is being called. Wonder how this helps. For me, it doesn't.

And FYI, one of my postpaid numbers which is relatively new shows up as 'Cust' in TrueCaller. You know why? That's how the guy who sold me the connection has saved my number.
  5. maverick

maverick Amatore

Hey guys, why to make such a big fuss about Truecaller. If you don't want Truecaller to list your number, please get your number unlisted. That being said a similar feature is added to Android Kitkat. So sooner or later you number will get published if you are using google services.
  6. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I'm not convinced by your argument. The stakes are much higher these days; what with social networking, bank transactions and various other activities being linked to the mobile number. A landline is archaic in comparison. Tell me, how often have you received text messages saying you've won xxxxGBP, or a Pearl necklace set., etc., etc.? There are gullible people who fall for such cons every single time! I wouldn't want my security to be compromised due to the stupidity of such idiots.
    We are not paranoid, we are more careful lest we fall prey to con-men and identity thefts through no fault of ours. To answer a previous question of yours- No, the vast majority are not becoming unscrupulous. The unscrupulous are becoming more innovative and cleverer. ;)
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013