1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Blue&Me SMS Reader with Android OS

Discussion in 'Blue and Me' started by rahulmr, Dec 22, 2011.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Google will surely come up with such system. They love to "steal" personal user data.
    1 person likes this.
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ^^ Haha, Although not a google product, Im surprised people are installing the Truecaller App on their smartphones and giving away phone numbers of everyone on their phonebook. This is a serious risk, people don't seem to be getting it.
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    whatsapp is also on same lines :p
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I don't understand what this fuss is all about. Ever used a telephone directory? I mean, every connection used to be listed with name and full address. What is the big deal about people knowing your mobile number? Are we becoming a paranoid society? Or are the vast majority becoming unscrupulous?

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  5. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Agree, we are behaving as if nobody knows our number. We are not bothered to share our personal stuff on facebook, but when it comes to some app which gets our number we become very defensive.
    The moment we connect to the internet from mobile our KUNDALI is out in public. :evilsmile
    2 people like this.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Letting out our number in the public AND letting out all the contacts(near & dear ones/famiily members) from our phonebook public are two different things. IMO, the directory analogy does not fit here.

TrueCaller works that way. When you search for a name/number, it searches the database of all contacts it has gathered from various users and gives a match.

I am personally not comfortable with that and that is the very reason I uninstalled the app the same day. To each his own. :)
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I am talking about the printed Telephone Directory, that BSNL used to give out to every subscriber. I am sure there is no one in this world that would know everyone that is listed in that book. Are you telling me that you have never received a call from a number not in your address book, asking you - "Am I talking to DRIV3R?", trying to sell you a credit card or a personal loan? Ever wonder how they know your name?

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Well, you don't seem to get the point.

Directory does not offer searching a name/number. You need more details to zero-in on the person and the number. With truecaller, you can just search any random number and get the person's name. This can be misused.

There are other reasons for tele-callers to know your name. Might be some lucky draw form you filled, who sold your data for example.

And I guess you are sober enough to remember my name, no telecaller would go by my forum handle. :)

I would take any more replies on the OT thread please.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    It does. Please visit the online directory services website of BSNL. They have individual pages for searching by name or number.
    Sai Aditya - you cannot take a dig at me like this and ask me to go to OT thread. I am offended. :evilsmile

Rajan
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

That is fine for landlines sir, is there any similar online service for mobiles? And remember that these details are provided legally by the service provider.

So, now we are talking. ;)

Rajan, only reason I asked for OT thread is because, well, what we are discussing is OT. Nothing else. :D