1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Blue & Me - Quirks

Discussion in 'Blue and Me' started by johnny, Jul 1, 2010.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi guys,

I use a couple of 4 GB USB sticks for non-stop music through the B&M. The other day, my young nephew was trying out the various settings on the B&M. After that I found that the Media Player would play a song, and then loop it continuously.

So I tried the voice commands "Media" "Play anything". The system would acknowledge the command, but then would continue looping the song. I then tried using the menu button on the steering wheel, and then selecting "Media" "Play anything". The system behaviour did not change. Then after reading up on the system, I tried the menu option "Settings" "Media player" "shuffle ON". The setting was selected, but to no avail.

I then thought that the system was corrupted and tried disconnecting the negative lead from the battery. I reconnected after about half an hour and tried the player again - IT CONTINUED TO LOOP!! I was now at my wits end. So I went back to the menu, and rechecked the "Settings" "Media player" sub-menu. I found that the "loop" option was ON. The system continued looping the song despite "play anything", and "shuffle" options also being ON. Logically, selection of "shuffle" option should deselect the "loop" option and vice-versa. That does not seem to be the case here. It was quite a relief to get back to shuffle play.

Johnny
  2. Johnny, logically speaking shuffle should deselect the loop option. Congratulations! it seems you have found a bug for Microsoft to work on :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    The B&M manual says Shuffle ON, B&M plays the tracks at random instead of the usual sequence (equal to "Play Anything" option?). It says with Loop ON, the track will get repeated.

So, it seems Shuffle & Loop are 2 totally different functions & are not related ("mutually exclusive"?). They are even not opposite to each other as it sounds.

Don't know when both Shuffle & Loop are ON, which function will override the other. I guess Loop ON would override Shuffle ON & the track will get repeated.
  4. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

For the voice command to work, you need that English accent..

As for the loop and shuffle working together, there seems nothing wrong. The user can always press the next button (say next) to skip a shuffled track..
  5. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well after disconnecting the -ve terminal u still might have loop on.. Well the first day i checked my car i found the same problem then decided to manually turn both of them off... And yea for Her to understand u, u need to talk to her with an accent or else she recognizes something else.. It happens alot of times with me when i turn off my Media.. At times she never recognizes the Stop command...
  6. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi guys,

I have a pretty good relationship with my B&M lady (I call her Matilda). You just have to speak normally. When she understands, she will confirm your command. For example if you say: "Media", "Stop", she will respond "Playback stopped", if she has understood you.

As per the manual, when you plug in a USB stick, the default playback is "Play anything" "...play the whole content of your media library at RANDOM". "Shuffle" or "Random order" also plays back the tracks in a random order. I should think that both functions are the same.

The only other selection (other than "Folders" "Artists" etc), is "Loop" or "Cycle", which repeats a track.

Logically speaking, "random play" and "loop" should be mutually exclusive. But, then with Microsoft, logic may not have been a criteria (might feature in the next version as a "major performance improvement") - one of the reasons why I am an Open Source fan.

When both options are selected, "loop" appears to have the priority.

You can always select the next song using the button on the steering wheel - but can you imagine how irritating it can get on a long journey? and hence my joy and relief at regaining 'shuffle play".

Johnny
    1 person likes this.
  7. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ideal is to plug in a portable HDD and njoy the shuffle mode :)
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I wonder if portable HDDs are supported. My experience has been that support for USB sticks larger than 4 GB is a bit "iffy".

Andy, you could try out a portable HDD and let us all know.

Johnny
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    I think it supports upto 16 GB (or 8 GB?). With 160 GB portable HDD, imagine how much time will it take building up Media Library !!! :confused
  10. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    hey guys ive tried a 320 WD passport portable HDD and works perfectly fine... The only thing u need to take care is dont dump videos in the HDD if u'r using with B&M... add only songs it works perfectly fine... Ive tried it in my car..

VP its not too slow as well in building up Media library.. but its just a one time affair once u plug the HDD..

Also i hav a 16GB Flash drive which works perfectly fine on the media player.. u can use pen drives more than 4gb... no issues...