1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Blr - mum - jaipur - del - srinagar - leh

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Ani, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Nikhil Goel

Nikhil Goel Amatore

This is what called adventurous journey... Nice pics dude... very well covered... I bet this will be the best travel log.

Drive dafe...
    1 person likes this.
  2. ninads123

Awesome. Please continue...
  3. Brilliant man!!!!
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ani

Day 6 , 7 & 8

Thanks all for the compliments, it was an adventure for sure , a Road trip I will definitely remember for life...
    @ Satchinanda - When you love something much, you want to take care of it as much as possible :)
    @ Kedar - The Only gadget we were carrying was my Dell Latitude :) and yes a Map Book of India ... Getting on with the travelogue now-
    Day 6,7 & 8-
    Leh town is a beautiful place nestled deep within the rugged mountains, it is a contrast to the minimal civilzation that we had gotten accustomed to. Come to think of it, it's very much like Manali, shops sell the same kind of stuff, crowds also pretty much the same, foreigners , couples ... What is different however is the food. On old Leh road are many restaurants serving awesome Cuisine, a definite try out is the Mutton Curry there.The Mutton there is a lot harder than the one found in the rest of the country but extremely delicious!Not much of chicken though!
    Day 6 -
    Our plan was to visit the famous Pongong lake, permits were taken care of by Salim the owner of the Kardungla hotel. We paid Rs 200 for the permits, if we had taken the pain of getting it ourselves ,would have gotten it done in Rs 20.
    We started for the lake around 9 AM,unfortunately or fortunately for us there was a power cut in Leh that morning which resulted in us getting delayed for a bit, the route to Pongong is long and a winding one takes you through the mountains, roads are not great, but when you are in Leh you get used to such roads.
    The route also takes you through Chang La thats at 17380 ft the closest you can come to glaciers.The temperature there does drop down quite a bit however we found hot chai served out there to warm us up.
    The landscape changes as you get closer to the lake, the arid brown mountains have small streams flowing between them watering the spurts of vegetation , which is quite relieving to the body & soul after seeing all brown around , en route comes more pastures this time with Yaks grazing on it, also on a particular bend we found the most amazing natural garden , flowers , river and the mountain all together formed what I would like to call God's personal garden...
    A little ahead from it we got our first view of the lake- an absolute blue, so blue you would not believe it exists in India.
    The lake by itself is huge, by the time we got there it was around 2 PM, good for us ,majority of the crowd had long since left so the place was relatively deserted. Couple of small dhabas over there were playing songs from the 3 Idiots movie.Very Amusing! The water was super cold, so cold that we couldnt stay in it for more than a few seconds...
    There we met a Jawan from the Army who told us that they do their patrols every day all the way till the Chinese border, (Around 60% of the lake is in Chinese Territory) the water freezes every year & when that happens they play football on the ice! Imagine playing football on ice :p
    Post our photo shoot we decided to return as we were already delayed much, stopped for a bit in the garden took some pictures and headed back.
    En route we did see many Monasteries all built on Hills, makes you wonder why on top of the hill and why the climb!
    Maybe they wanted a good view from the room :p
    Reached Leh back only by evening,some shopping and a delicious meal at the Pizza joint there ( not to be missed, made locally with Yak cheese, YUMMY!!!)
    The Pictures-
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg 25.jpg 26.jpg 27.jpg 28.jpg 29.jpg 30.jpg 31.jpg 32.jpg 33.jpg 34.jpg 35.jpg 36.jpg 37.jpg 38.jpg 39.jpg 40.jpg 41.jpg 42.jpg 43.jpg

Day 7-
    Khardungla was the day's agenda! One of the Main reasons to visit Leh to conquer the WORLDS HIGHEST MOTORABLE road. We left around 9 and to be honest I felt it is was over rated, the drive up was a piece of cake :) The punto did extremely well, felt we had to struggle more in Zozilla than in Khardungla. But I suppose it was more cuz Zozilla doesn't have the roads Khardungla has. The cafeteria on top of Khardungla also the worlds highest is pretty informative, tells you the whole story of Maggi :) Much ahead from Khardungla lies the desert with white sands and the double humped camels,we however did not go there and decided to turn back.On the way back high up in the mountains we chanced upon an animal I would not expect at all - A Beaver :D, managed to get a picture of it.
    Overall the climb and back was completed in 5 hours with close to an hour spent on top.
    The afternoon we spent lazing around and evening was spent shopping artifacts for friends and folks back home.
    The Pictures-
    a.jpg b.jpg d.jpg e.jpg f.jpg g.jpg h.jpg i.jpg j.jpg c.jpg

Day 8-
    Our last day in Leh, we got up late decided the day would be dedicated to exploring the town, spent the morning checking out the Leh palace which is currently undergoing renovation, the palace has an amazing view of the town and should not be missed,did some more shopping slept early knowing we had a long way to go back home. Honestly speaking we were home sick and longed for our beds!
    a1.jpg a2.jpg a3.jpg a4.jpg a5.jpg a6.jpg a7.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  5. ninads123

Jannat :D

Yours and J Ravi's thread should improve Fiat sales :D
  6. 1+ to that, This should be a eye opener for people who say Punto/Linea's are underpowered and not reliable.
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3

Great writeup, even greater pictures. As mentioned earlier, you & Ravi are Brand Ambassadors for Fiat!!!

8. sungoa2010

Ani, Have you made any other long trip after this amazing Leh trip.
  9. I reread the whole thing with out looking at the dates and was surprised to see my comments!! Ani, the whole travelogue can be read ans many times as possible.
  10. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

It was a great trip. Even i havent missed a single word from his travelogue. nice write up and pictures.