1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Blinking ODO Meter Reading

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by anand3636, Apr 19, 2012.

1. urvish21

urvish21 Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    I have a blinking odo, blinking temperature reading on the AC panel. I have had this issue intermittently but have always ignored it.

I am experiencing a new problem since the last 1 month. When I start the car, the rolling code light comes on (the car with a lock on it sign), the display shows "Low fuel warning" even though I have 90% tank full. I stop and restart the car and its gone. Sometimes I have to start the car twice for the "rolling code" light to go off.
    I showed the problem to RS Motors (ASS in Mumbai). They were of the opinion that it could be due to the weak battery. They checked the battery and found it ok. However, they added some distilled water as the level had gone down. The problem went away for a week and now it is back. Should I go for a battery replacement? My car is 2.5 years old.
  2. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    You can go to an authorized battery dealer of the brand in the car. They conduct a test and provide you with a health report and also check for leaks or damages. I know it is done free of cost at EXIDE centers. This should give you a fair idea as they have a chart to compare the current readings with the expected ones.
  3. urvish21

urvish21 Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Will go for a battery check-up this weekend......
  4. urvish21

urvish21 Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Did a battery check up at the EXIDE centre closest to my home. They said the charging is fine but the cells have become weak. He too poured distilled water if 1-2 cells. I am not sure why he did not bother to look at the other cells and why they keep putting distilled water? Maybe he was just trying to show that he was trying to help.
    If the charging is proper, I am not sure how he concluded that the cells have turned weak? Did he say so because I told him my battery is 2.5 years old?
    He said that a new Exide battery will cost 6100 rupees and he will buy back my old battery for 600 rupees and the net cost will be 5500 rupees for me. Plus there is a 2 year replacement warranty + 2 more years of limited warranty where they provide a new battery at some discount.
    Now my question is
    1. Should I change my battery with a new one?
    2. If yes to (1), can I get it done from Exide show itself? Will it affect my car warranty?
    3. I am still not sure whether the warning lights are due to weak battery. If I go to Fiat ASS, I can tell them that if battery change should fix my warning lights issue too. The cost at Fiat ASS works out to 6100 rupees.

My heart says go to Fiat ASS but head says EXIDE centre.
  5. Anirudh

Anirudh Novizio

Mumbai
    mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    You could probably go to your excide battery place and ask them to show you a demo of the battery on your car. The advantage you have by going after market with the battery is they give you many options wich Fiats dosnt. I recently changed my battery to a din 60 amaron and got a verry good buy back for my old one, alltho even i went in an intent to get my blinking odo problem solved but the battery change didnt do the trick for me lets see what next.
  6. antony1405

antony1405 Novizio

Chennai
    @urvish21: are you getting any warning messages like "airbag failure", boot not opening through button inside the car(not the remote button) etc.. or just odo blinking?
  7. urvish21

urvish21 Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    just odo blinking. I also get the rolling code light on (car with a lock on it) 1-2 times on starting the car. It goes away on starting the car for the second or third time. Recently I have also noticed that the rolling code light does not come on but I still get a warning message on low fuel which goes away after flashing once. My tank was >75% full.
  8. antony1405

antony1405 Novizio

Chennai
    Hmm.. I too got these same errors.. It's because of the weak battery cells.. I changed my battery and all the warnings were disappeared.. My stock battery lasted only for 1 year and 9 months.. If the power is not received with correct voltage then these error appears.. It's better you get your battery checked and changed. I changed my battery outside(Exide battery shop) after discussing with the sales advisor.. Until you don't have starting problem you can still use the stock battery but you will see new errors popping up and surprising you everyday.. ;-)
  9. urvish21

urvish21 Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Noted. Will change my battery this weekend. Thanks
    antony1405 likes this.
  10. urvish21

urvish21 Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    I got my battery changed at RS Motors, FASS at Kandivali, Mumbai. They offered a deal similar to Exide shop with only 100 rupees extra for labour.
    All problems solved. No lights blink now.