1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Blind spot mirror

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by sungoa2010, May 31, 2011.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @Johnny's post is the tested and proven way to adjust ORVMs to MINIMIZE blind spots. However, it will not eliminate blind spots completely.

When I went to do the driving test in Australia, my car had these little blind spot mirrors fixed and I was switching lanes looking at them. End of the test, the official who was in the car called me into a counselling room and told me that while he has passed me and I will get my driving license, he pointed out that I was not looking over my shoulder for traffic in the blind spot and advised me to practise the MIST principle for shifting lanes / making turns:

Mirror - look in the rear view mirror(s)
    Indicator - switch on relevant indicator
    Shoulder - quick glance over shoulder
    Turn - complete the turn / lane switch

When I pointed out that I was not looking over the shoulder as I had these blind spot mirrors, his logic was undisputable - "I am giving you a license to drive any car in Australia, not just cars equipped with blind spot mirrors" :D

Been following that principle ever since, in combination with adjusting mirrors as posted by Johnny and never felt the need for blind spot mirrors at all.

Rajan
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    3 people like this.
  2. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Sungoa, i have these on my mirrors it costed 200/- small ones, dont knw about others it works for me..
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Surya,
    may be it should work for active models ? does active model comes with electronic adjustable OVRM's

we can see even few insanes with OVRM's either folded or also not even having it.Totally blind with no blind spot at all.... :D
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    these mirrors will come in handy while reverse parking by the looks of it.. Because when you lower your ORVM more of the sides will be covered so its easier to reverse park..
    A good alternative for those costly parking sensors...
  5. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    2012-09-12 18.26.32.jpg its a 360 deg rotatable one can be adjusted to have a better judgement
    1 person likes this.
  6. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Blind spots..
    during my Trip to Goa.. almost got hit by a truck..while taking a right onto the highway..

if ur traveling with a driver side passenger.. u reach a junction.. u look right its clear.. u look to the left.. all u see is the co-passenger and no road.. that is a major blind spot..
    ever faced such a situation.i face it everyday while exiting my apartment.. any remedy for that..

to me the side view blind spot is nothing compared to this..
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Very true! I have faced this many times. I ll check twice or thrice to confirm, in case am not sure will ask the co-passenger to see on-coming vehicles!
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    This used to happen to me even in my Palio - the usual passenger being my wife.

I thought about it and did two things to solve this problem:

1. Set the backrest of the passenger side seat so that the headrest and the B pillar are aligned
    2. Educate the passenger that YOU, the driver, need to be able to see the on-coming traffic as YOU are the one that has the controls to the car

Never had the issue again. Of course, I am assuming that you guys are referring to a passenger seated on the front seat.

Rajan
  9. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    don't know how many of you know the simple trick of checking/covering the blind spot!! while driving you just have to lean ahead and check in the mirror. This covers blind spot for sure!! now it has become habit for me!:)
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks surya. Sorry that I missed your post. Usually never miss a chance to say a thanks.:)

How effectively it sticks to the mirror. Any chance of falling if car hits a hump or pot hole in higher speed.