1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bleeding of Hydraulic Power Steering

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by bhai, Feb 13, 2012.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    HiAs we all know when we replace Brake fluid or Clutch fluid we bleed the hydraulic lines of brake or clutch.Recently I got steering rack changed. That time ASS changed HPS oil.I saw video about bleeding of hydraulic power steering. When I enquired to SA about bleeding of HPS lines, he told that it is not necessary. Is he right ?
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Jack up the front of the car (Don't start the engine)
    Remove the reservoir cap
    Rotate the steering left to right repeatedly if there is any air in system it would come out and fluid level will drop, add oil as required.
    Stop when Fluid level stops going down
    Get car down and start the engine for 5 mins and keep monitoring the oil level

If ASS wouldn't have done bleeding the oil container would have been empty.
    Forget about this and enjoy driving your 90 HP Punto or take a cup of coffee/tea.
    2 people like this.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanx Vijay !BTW Tata ASS misplaced lid of HPS oil reserviour. So they replaced with lid of reserviour of Indica V2As you all know lid of HPS oil reserviour of GP & Linea has breather pipe. After replacing steering rack, I noticed this.I phoned to SA & asked about this careless task. He assured me to do the needful in next visit.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    seems they are not going to stop doing funny things with your cars
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Bhai now even Fiat cars don't come with breather pipe on the reservoir cap.
    If ASS agrees to give you new cap, insist for Bill/Invoice otherwise they would most probably remove the cap from some other car and install that in your car.
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Here is the image of lid of reserviour of HPS Oil. Breather pipe is indicated by arrow.

My former 75 BHP had also equipped with breather pipe to oil reserviour of HPS oil.

untitled.JPG
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even my car have this pipe.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i think my linea doesnt have this breather pipe. need to reconfirm though
  9. I guess new Punto's are not having this breather pipe !! Mine does nt have, it is July 2011 GP Emotion.
  10. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    I too have that breather pipe.You can order one i guess if you dont have it.Do the present ones dont have it? Cost cutting??