1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bleeding brakes after pad change, Please help

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, May 28, 2012.

1. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Black

If brake plumbing is opened then better to bleed the brake circuit. Get a can of DOT 4 oil and bleed the brakes. If brakes act weird in case of emergency at high speeds, the feeling itself causes shivering to me can't imagine further. My advice is to get a dot 4 oil can and bleed the brake circuit.
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hmm yeah.. but i read in the manual it says conflicting things..
    on pg 172 in the manual it says use DOT 5 for vehicles with ABS for hydraulic brake circuts and in Pg 174 it says hydraulic brake fluids are DOT 4
    my car has ABS
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It is definitely DOT 4 grade brake oil. But, the quantity is 400 ml(.4 L) for non-abs vehicles and 500 ml(.5 L) for abs equipped vehicles. Go through it again carefully.

PS:- I thing brake fluids available in two grades only DOT 3 and DOT 4. No such thing like DOT 5 is available for now.
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    The brake fluid which Fiats drinks is DOT 4 (Tutela Top 4) Use Brake fluid which have highest wet boiling point. Bosch Super Dot 4 is one don't know any other. If using anything else change that every year instead of fiat recommended 2 years as other DOT 4 fluids have low wet boiling point.
    Don't use DOT5 it would cause rubber seals to deteriorate and cause brake failure.

mvb4u Dot5 and Dot 5.1 do exist but not freely available in India.
    1 person likes this.
  5. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank you vijay for clarification.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    just back from the mechanic... he TD my car and said that there is no need to get paranoid , there is a bit of play (about 30mm) and it is normal also there is no reduction in braking so as of now there is no requirement for bleeding...

Thanks for the replies...
    2 years seems a lot of time to me for any fluid that is constantly under use... I dont know but i have apprehensions about this.. anyway its ok